Re: CYBI - Captain Lawrence Xtra Pale clone recipe

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but starting ANY beer at 74 degrees, much less one with a 1.085 gravity, sounds like a recipe for some nasty fusel alcohol production. I guess maybe with a huge pitch of fresh, healthy yeast (available at the brewery) you would limit the amount of growth of the yeast which could possibly keep the fusels down, but I wouldn't risk it. I think you want the growth of yeast in the beginning of fermentation for those interesting esters and phenols known for that yeast.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:12 pm

brewinhard wrote:Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but starting ANY beer at 74 degrees, much less one with a 1.085 gravity, sounds like a recipe for some nasty fusel alcohol production. I guess maybe with a huge pitch of fresh, healthy yeast (available at the brewery) you would limit the amount of growth of the yeast which could possibly keep the fusels down, but I wouldn't risk it. I think you want the growth of yeast in the beginning of fermentation for those interesting esters and phenols known for that yeast.

I've had the beer and the clone and I can tell you fusels are the furthest thing from these beers. The key is pitching healthy yeast I guess.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:32 pm

thatguy314 wrote:
brewinhard wrote:Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but starting ANY beer at 74 degrees, much less one with a 1.085 gravity, sounds like a recipe for some nasty fusel alcohol production. I guess maybe with a huge pitch of fresh, healthy yeast (available at the brewery) you would limit the amount of growth of the yeast which could possibly keep the fusels down, but I wouldn't risk it. I think you want the growth of yeast in the beginning of fermentation for those interesting esters and phenols known for that yeast.

I've had the beer and the clone and I can tell you fusels are the furthest thing from these beers. The key is pitching healthy yeast I guess.

Agreed...
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:18 am

Hey guys, I just read the recipe for Captain Lawrence. Simcoe? Does the "Simcoe Bite" stand out? I think that is the first time I saw Simcoe in a Belgian. Am I wrong?
Sqhead

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:28 am

+ 1 brewinhard

I pitch most of my belgians at 66F and hold for at least 36hrs, then will control ramp or let free rise. I have found that the higher temps will give you a different yeast profile but a free rise even at lower temps can give you those same characteristics. I recently used WLP550 in a session saison, held temp with a controller at 66F for 36hrs then let free rise. It topped out at around 72F and has a spicy/fuit character I associate with higher temp ferments. Don't quite understand why - yeast rave.

WLP530 is a fierce fermentor even at high 60s temps and this is a big beer with potential for a lot of fusels. I would suggest holding to 66-68F at start then control ramp or let free rise to whatever. You may want to start first with a smaller beer (blonde - same bill) then repitch to the Xtra Pale.

Cheers
"When you said you mounted animals, I thought you were a taxidermist!" -- petting zoo, Oskosh WI
DBear

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:41 am

jwatkins56550 wrote:anybody brew this one yet? Did you ferment at 74, or was that too nerve wrecking to start that high?

December 31st brew day; OG 1.090; 88% pilsner malt, 12% sugar (1-4lb bag); efficiency came in a little higher than planned; pitched starters into each carboy (decanted) at 68F; +12 hours 70F and krausen; +24 hours 75F; +36 hours 77F. Yeast starters were only major hiccup and now I have some inadvertent "blends" in each carboy since I mixed up a vial of WLP500 and WLP530.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

So, Day 9, back at 69F. Temp peaked out at 77F then crept back down to 69F where I am holding it. Gravity after 9-days 1.014 and I just dry-hopped. ADF 85% and 10.1% ABV. Tastes a little harsh, but I'd expect that at day 9 on a 10% beer. Both fermenters are still chugging along slowly. I plan to crash around Day 17 (8-days on dry hops) and let is settle for 4-7 days cold and then rack to kegs.

So far, it seemed to match what I gleaned from Nathan. More to follow.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Day 15 (6-days on hops) - wow, the Amarillos layer right on top of the bitterness and alcohol to make this darn tasty. Big grapefruit nose (maybe some pineapple) layered on top of the esters. The yeast is starting to clean up some of the harsh flavors, but the alcohol still comes thru as a major component, just not really hot. Gravity is now 1.012 (WLP530 blend) and 1.013 (WLP500 blend)

I'd like to try this beer backed off 40% (gravity and IBUs) and as a Belgo-American Pale.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?