Fish alt, did somebody really ask for this?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 am

Seems weird. All the other clones that have been done were from relatively well known breweries, but I've never heard of Fish brewing company (maybe it's a WC thing?). I've never even heard the BN guys talk about it before this show. Then the story about how Chad was up there and really liked the beer, and how the guy formulated his recipe from Jamil's book (partially), obviously he's a listener. So what's the deal, was this really a listener requested show, or something to get the brewery's name out there, or because you liked the beer or something?
Nyakavt

Re: Fish alt, did somebody really ask for this?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:19 am

Who cares? It's an awesome beer, and would be a great recipe for anyone to try. No reason that they can't pick their own beers once in a while based on something they enjoy themselves.
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 am

Evan Burck wrote:Who cares? It's an awesome beer, and would be a great recipe for anyone to try. No reason that they can't pick their own beers once in a while based on something they enjoy themselves.

If that's the case, they weren't exactly up front about it. It was my impression that the shows were going to be chosen based on listener requests, and if they're changing that it would be nice to know why. I'm under the impression that a lot of listeners have never had nor can they get Fish 8-mile alt, and to me there's no real desire to clone something you haven't had and cannot get. My opinion, anyway.

Take it to another extreme, what if they start choosing to do a clone of a particular brewery's beer because said brewery was sponsoring them? Hah, probably will never happen. But the show is great publicity, all JZ says is how this or that beer is one of his favorites. Just sayin', I'm gonna raise hell if the next one is Bud Light Golden Wheat!
Nyakavt

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Nyakavt wrote:
Evan Burck wrote:Who cares? It's an awesome beer, and would be a great recipe for anyone to try. No reason that they can't pick their own beers once in a while based on something they enjoy themselves.

If that's the case, they weren't exactly up front about it. It was my impression that the shows were going to be chosen based on listener requests, and if they're changing that it would be nice to know why. I'm under the impression that a lot of listeners have never had nor can they get Fish 8-mile alt, and to me there's no real desire to clone something you haven't had and cannot get. My opinion, anyway.

Take it to another extreme, what if they start choosing to do a clone of a particular brewery's beer because said brewery was sponsoring them? Hah, probably will never happen. But the show is great publicity, all JZ says is how this or that beer is one of his favorites. Just sayin', I'm gonna raise hell if the next one is Bud Light Golden Wheat!

Well, it's next to impossible to get beers that everyone can get. Outside of the Big 3, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada, there really aren't any consistent beers that are in every marketplace. If someone who can't get Fish Tale 8 Mile Alt wants to try it, I'd be more than happy to send some to anyone who wants it.
Last edited by Evan B on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Nyakavt wrote: "... to me there's no real desire to clone something you haven't had and cannot get. My opinion, anyway."!

Conversely, if it's a great beer but not available in my area, I'd be likely to try brewing it.

I don't have any way to get most of those beers. In fact, I've only had three of the beers that CYBI has done and I don't have easy access to any of the other ones. I'm driving four hours to get even Shakespeare Stout (though I've had it and I'm counting it in the three that I can get).

I like and appreciate the fact that they're doing some stuff that's harder to get and possibly a little obscure.
Bottle: Lonely Beer Party Bitter, Mildly Amused, Saison Du Biz (two fermentors with slightly different ferm. temps), Noah's Parti Bitter

Fermentor: Noahs Parti Wine-o

Coming up:
Wutz

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Nyakavt wrote:

This question surprises me and I tend to agree with Even on the who cares point. But I'll answer anyway. CYBI is most definitely listener generated. We take requests via canyoubrewit@thebrewingnetwork.com and nearly every show we have done has come from such requests.

That being said, this show has a long life span and we will occasionally brew beers that are not widely available. But you should understand that with every single beer we choose, there will be the comment " a lot of listeners can't get it ". We have "a lot" of listeners everywhere in the world, so avoiding beers that 90, or even 30% of you can't get would mean the show would have already ended after we got through the heavily distributed beers. Or we would just re-do Bud until we got it right and cancel the show.

In this particular case, I'll admit that I actually chose the beer after trying it and loving it. When Jamil tried it he agreed so we went off my request. I'm not sure it's reason to complain that on this particular show it was not a listener request. It does not mean that we've been paid to do it. It means I loved the beer and asked Jamil and Tasty to clone it, just like you would have done with one of your favorites.

So the show is exactly what we always said it is, even though we may do one we like from time to time. Shit, we (well most of us anyway :oops: ) are homebrewers too and have our own beer requests. I think everyone on staff here would have bailed on me a long time ago if they only got to brew beers for you, and not what they want also.

So there! :D

J
Life is too short to listen to crappy radio. - BrewBum 2007

Suck it Schuman
Brewcaster J

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:39 pm

good post J. When I read the thread title, I suspected it was Justin that had something to do with the request. somewhere in the archives I remember Justin saying that an alt was one of his favorite styles. After hearing that I brewed one, it was the first alt I have had it was great. I am glad that the fish alt is a request of Justins. I have not heard the show yet, but I will listen to it soon.

Justin, don't let the bastards get you down. PLease have fun with the show and keep bringing it strong. Prost.
My homebrewing blog:
http://hopshead.blogspot.com/
hopshead

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:50 pm

:asshat:
Last edited by Sent From My iPhone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent From My iPhone

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?