Dogfish Head 120

Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:29 pm

I never even heard of this beer or Brewery to be honest until listening to the DFH 120 can you brew it. And I was on a mission from that point to find some to see what all the commotion was about. Well After checking every local store with no luck I gave up and purchased a 4pk or the 90 on Tuesday. Wow what a great beer!

So there I was loving this 90 and now wanting to try the 120 even more. So off on my search again. I was about to give up after driving to hell and back when I decided to check out a small local store just for shits a and giggles and what do you know they had over a dozen on the shelf so I helped myself to a few. After chilling overnight I called over a friend to sample this bad boy and after the first taste I said to my friend "that fucking BN just screwed me." My friend asked what do you mean? What do I mean? This has to be one of the best beers that I have ever tasted and now I am going to go broke and possibly insane trying to brew this!

So today I put in my order for 20+lbs of corn sugar 50lbs of grain and a 14.5 gal conical! And when the wife finds out I am toast. I must have spent a grand this month stocking up on bulk grain, hops, and over a dozen kegs. After I got Jamils book with the Hop Hammer recipe I went on a hopping spree. :wink: I must have 10 pounds of hops in the freezer well a little less now since I brewed the Hop Hammer and a Bells Two hearted Ale clone and I never though of myself being a IPA kind of guy but thoses two are coming along beautifully! Now someone has to help me talk the wife into letting me up my pot to a 20 gal so I can do a 10 gal batch of this 120.

PS: Jamil, Tasty and Sean F-U for what you have done to me and my wallet :mrgreen: :drink
ThatguyRyan

Re: Dogfish Head 120

Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Wow.

Props to you for hitting the hobby so hard. I doubt I could ever sneak a conical purchase past my wife.

Sam Calagione (of Dogfish Head) has a book on homebrewing. Although all of the recipes are Extract/Partial Mash, you can convert them relatively easily to all grain.

Cheers.
"Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!" - Gus (Brad Sullivan), in "Canadian Bacon".
ScootsieDoubleday

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:58 pm

The 60 and 90 are good - so is the 75 (60/90 blend) but I can't drink the 120.
I would try the 120 before making a huge batch.

JD
dunleav1

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm

If you haven't already done so, I would go and listen the the CYBI episode with Sean Paxton and the great lengths he went to to brew a clone of the 120. I don't think I have it in me to try and pull that one off.
Sent From My iPhone

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:50 pm

I'm about to make the dogfish head 60 min...in the can you brew it, didn't Sean use the california ale yeast? The recipe found in extreme homebrewing for 60 min uses the wyeast 1187... at least that's what it says here:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17599
"It's really easy to make shitty beer."
jwatkins56550

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:32 am

I am surprised there was no brewer interview. Sam Caligione is usually such a media whore and has done at least one BN interview on the session. (I love Sam, think he's a great guy - I was fortunate enough to play Bocci with him once at the iron hill brewery in wilmington DE and have been a huge fan ever since). I would like to hear Sams backstory on this beer since Jamil said that paxtons clone was closer to earier versions of the 120 he'd had.

For everyone out there. In my opinion there is no better thanksgiving beer then 120. The residual sweetness standsup to sweet potatoes and cranberries, the hops match well with sage infused stuffing and the weight matches the heavy gravies. I only drink 120 once a year and that day is approaching quickly.

brew strong!
Jims

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:07 am

dunleav1 wrote:The 60 and 90 are good - so is the 75 (60/90 blend) but I can't drink the 120.
I would try the 120 before making a huge batch.

JD

I got the 120 and love it. Nothing like I expected and I really find it more drinkable than the 90 but I do love big beers.

Anyway I have two recipes for the 120 so far including Sean Paxton's so I will probably go off that one. I listened to the show twice and will again once my equipment comes in.

And since I will finally have a conical can I reuse the fist yeast from this one? I know that harvesting yeast for high alc beers is not the best but since this yeast only ferments part of the beer could I dump it before adding the high Gravity yeast and reuse it?
ThatguyRyan

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:44 am

Big fan of DFH and Sam, but he can keep the 120 min.
mr x

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?