Re: Arrogant Bastard Show

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 am

I just tried Arrogant Bastard for the first time at our Boise Beer Fest and look forward to listening to this show shortly!
-Niko-

BN Army Sergeant

"Samsonite?!?.. I was WAY off!" - Lloyd Christmas

Come get your hops and more! Low prices and $5 flat rate shipping on hops-only orders http://www.NikoBrew.com
NikoBrew

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:19 am

My two favorite shows so far have been this one, Stone's Arrogant Bastard, and Oskar Blues' Gordon (with Nathan). Having said that, these beers (even if cloned perfectly) are not at the top of my list to brew.

To date, I've only brewed up the Lagunitas IPA clone recipe... got close but I didn't clone it. I'm planning on brewing the Moose Drool and Obsidian Stout clones because they're not available in New Jersey (at least not that I know of) and, well, sound quite tasty!

I don't know if I totally agree with Jamil... I think most of us are pretty patient and really enjoy the discussions when they miss the mark just a tad. I love when JZ turns to Justin for his opinion and there's this pause as J considers his answer. (I secretly root for a miss. :twisted: ) I think Justin doesn't give himself enough credit... he has a great palate and I kinda like the fact that he has a hard time putting what he tastes into words (I have the same trouble).

Anyway... all the shows are great and I think 'hits' peppered with some 'misses' here and there is probably the best way to go.

Keep up the hard work, it's definitely appreciated! :jnj
Sam Scott

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:22 am

I have really enjoyed the shows (Arrogant Bastard & Gordon) where they came close but didn't clone. The discussion that follows the "failed" attempt is filled with good information and reminds me why I am a recurring donor. Well done BN.
http://www.sceneembargo.com/Media/Music ... dy_Blades/
Greatest Band Ever! Download MP3s at site above.
passlaku

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 pm

I also have to admit that the discussions of HOW to clone the beers are as good or better than the recipes themselves, cloned or not. Although I do understand the resources required to re-attempt the clones could be straining, it would sure make for great listening. Maybe some follow-up episodes twice a year or so where the guys can cover several re-brews, what they did, and why in one show.

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when Jamil and Tasty collaborated for the recipe. I noticed there was no finger-pointing when it wasn't cloned.
In keg:
Doppelbock
Berliner Weisse
DIPA
Dortmunder

On deck:
Emma's Brown
Brewchief

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:16 pm

What is interesting to me is that originally we were worried we might only hit about 50% success rate. I was telling Tasty that we needed to hit 80% if we wanted people to not get annoyed with the show.

Think of it this way. You're all jazzed to brew a clone of something. You go to the site and download the CYBI episode. Listen to the thing. And then find out it is a miss 50% of the time. Dang, can't these guys clone these things? We'd have to change the name to Can You Maybe Brew It? :(

So I was freaked out about not hitting 80%. It turned out that we had a lot of early success, but I see some misses in our future as we go for some of the tougher clones. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up at 80% over the long haul.

Of course, we'll keep working on every beer until we clone it. We're not just going to say we can't. We'll freakin do it! :jnj
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:14 am

"Of course, we'll keep working on every beer until we clone it. We're not just going to say we can't. We'll freakin do it!"

My money is on you guys. The malt is indeed quite strong within you.

I also like the idea of you trying the common online recipe with the Munich, Special B etc just for kicks. I think most of us are familiar with that one.
In keg:
Doppelbock
Berliner Weisse
DIPA
Dortmunder

On deck:
Emma's Brown
Brewchief

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 am

It's not Munich, it's Caramunich. BIG difference.
mr x

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:12 am

Understood, and thank you. I do not have the recipe in front of me but hopefully my point was comprehended.
In keg:
Doppelbock
Berliner Weisse
DIPA
Dortmunder

On deck:
Emma's Brown
Brewchief

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?