Re: Arrogant Bastard Show

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:06 am

ultravista wrote:What is a suitable sub for Chinook? Will Northern Brewer work for Arrogant Bastard?

According to Jon Palmer's hop flavor wheel, Simcoe is close to Chinook.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:13 am

What is the target pre-boil gravity for AB?
ultravista

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:06 am

Preboil depends on your boil off rate, so it depends on your system.
anday6

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:36 am

ultravista wrote:Hoser - how close was it?

He didn't elaborate too much, I am sure it is because it was super busy. He just said it was a good beer, but to roasty and is pretty certain that the crystal malt should be Special B. Sorry I can't be more help. For what it is worth, my wife thought they tasted nearly identical and she is my house sensory panel :lol:

ultravista wrote:So C150 and Special B @ at 10% of the bill will impart two unique and distinctive flavors?

They are 2 different crystal malts, so yes. They are made by different suppliers and have a different production process.

C150L is darker and has some roast character to it.

Special B is more dark stone fruit and deep burnt sugar.

ultravista wrote:What is a suitable sub for Chinook? Will Northern Brewer work for Arrogant Bastard?

If you are wanting to clone Arrogant Bastard, I think it needs to be Chinook. If you are intent on using a different hop, I would think Nugget would get you the closest character to Chinook, IMHO. Northern Brewer is too "woodsy." But, I would just use chinook. It is easy enough to find right now.
Hoser
Hoser

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Looking for feedback on the yeast.

I've got a lot of Pacman stocked away from yeast washing. It appears that the two yeasts are similiar.

Would my choice in Pacman signifigantly impact the flavor of the AB clone?

WLP007
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.

Alc. Tolerance: medium to high
Flocculation: medium to high
Attenuation: 70-80%
Temp. Range: 65-70°F

Pacman
Pacman is alcohol tolerant, flocculent, attenuates well and will produce beers with little to no diacetyl. Very mild fruit complements a dry, mineral finish making this a fairly neutral strain.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation med-high
Attenuation 72-78%
Temp. Range 60-72°F (15-22°C)
ultravista

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 am

I also have some Wyeast 1968 (ESB) from a previous brew.

Would 1968 be closer to WLP007?

A very good cask conditioned ale strain, this extremely flocculant yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains which results in a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fruity, increasingly so with higher fermentation temperatures of 70-74°F (21-23° C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration.

Flocculation: Very High
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 64-72F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

WLP007
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.

Alc. Tolerance: medium to high
Flocculation: medium to high
Attenuation: 70-80%
Temp. Range: 65-70°F
ultravista

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:08 am

I would use WLP007
Hoser
Hoser

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Substitute - probably not, but I'll bet it's good.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?