Re: CYBI and brewers mentioning their whirlpool

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:20 am

for me - i start my whirlpool about 10minutes before flameout, do the 0 minute addition when i cut the flame and start the water right away. when the water coming out of the chiller is getting near tap temperature i run it into a 5 gallon kettle that is about half full of ice. when this fills with water, i turn off the supply to the chiller, disconnect it and drop the hose going to the inlet of the chiller into the ice water kettle. this is placed higher than my boil kettle, and the ice water slowly siphons through the immersion chiller. when about half of the ice water is gone, i cut my pump and allow the trub to settle with the ice water still going. i can easily get in the 70F range this way with a little ice and reused chilling water.
monstersandpie

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:42 pm

For you folks that pitch the next day and are not worried about decanting your yeast before pitching - do you make your yeast starter on brew day as well if you are only stepping it up one time?

What difference does that last 5-7 degrees in temp drop (say from 75 down to 68) make for your Cal Ale yeast? I think I pitched at 72 last time after leaving it in the refer for a couple of hours but will try the overnight thing on the next batch. Anyone go even a little low to pitch (65F?) and let it climb up?
bcmaui

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 pm

bcmaui wrote:For you folks that pitch the next day and are not worried about decanting your yeast before pitching - do you make your yeast starter on brew day as well if you are only stepping it up one time?

What difference does that last 5-7 degrees in temp drop (say from 75 down to 68) make for your Cal Ale yeast? I think I pitched at 72 last time after leaving it in the refer for a couple of hours but will try the overnight thing on the next batch. Anyone go even a little low to pitch (65F?) and let it climb up?

I make my starter on brew day after brewing and use some of the just chilled wort, let it get ripping and pitch when I get home from work. I've done this for the last 10 or 15 brews with no problems. Why make a starter when you have 6 gallons just sitting there? My reason for letting it sit overnight is twofold: to let it cool and to let it settle and clear out a bit more so I can transfer clear wort.
On Deck: Brown Porter for Souring in Oak Barrel
Primary: Air
Secondary: Carcinoma Quad
Bottled: 10g Berliner Weiss, Sour Wit, Smoked Hefeweizen
Aging in Oak Barrel: Flanders Red, soon to be bottled, replaced with Porter
huskerbrew

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:07 pm

i just brewed the CYBI calico amber recipe, but failed to buy enough yeast for a proper pitching rate. i put the majority of the wort in a carboy and stored it in the fridge. the other 2L went into a gallon jug with the yeast. i aerated at the start and intermitently for the first few hours. the next morning i put the two together (both at fermentation temp) and saw results by the end of the day. i have yet to taste the beer, but the fermentation finished up in the length of time that tasty descibed on the show. i'll post again when i can say for sure.
monstersandpie

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:00 pm

I live in Minnesota, where Granite City began, and its kind of a joke around here. Their beer is fine, nothing crazy, but a lot of people equate it to the applebees of the brewpub world. It screams CHAIN restaurant. Still, they are much better brewers than I will ever be, so I guess I can't say too much. I'm sure their sanitation is impeccable and by transporting unfermented wort I'm assuming that any oxidation that occurs is moot as they will hit it with oxygen before the ferment at the restaurant site.

Also, they are a participant in the AHA pub discount program, so it's nice to see a chain pub giving back.
Fupa

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:45 pm

I typically tend to pitch below my fermentation temps when possible and let the yeast temp. rise exothermically to reach fermentation temps. I try to pitch 2-3 degrees below my fermentation temps to control any off flavors. But sometimes I just don't feel like waiting for the wort to cool any more and will pitch a little warm (70 degrees). I just make sure that I throw it in the fridge to cool off as fast as possible. I always try to pitch in the same day just to get the fermentation underway. I always get a sigh of relief when I see the first few bubbles in the airlock....Then again I am a habitual airlock sniffer!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 pm

monstersandpie wrote:just relistened to the calico amber show and am wondering about brewers referring to whirlpool hop additions. i don't know all the ins and outs of a professional whirlpool, but with the jamil style whirlpool chilla, we homebrewers can do one, so it'd be nice to know the details - are they whirlpooling (and adding these hops) before the flame is out; at flameout; are they leaving the wort whirlpooling hot with no flame for some period of time or chilling right away? is 'in the whirlpool' a standard process or does it vary by brewer and system?

i've been doing 0 minute additions at flameout with the whirlpool already going and starting my cooling water immediately. since the jamil style chiller cools so fast, i wonder if i'm missing out late-hop-wise on what another brewer might be getting with the wort staying hotter longer.

i supposed if jamil and tasty keep getting 'cloned' results it dosen't really matter. i'm just a beer nerd and need to know these things...

Many commercial brewers have a separate tank specifically for whirlpooling. They pump it from the kettle to the whirlpool tank to get the centrifugal motion (sometimes they continue to recirc as well). It generally stays hot in the whirlpool for maybe 15-20 minutes, then the hot wort is pumped to the chillers.

IMO, a whirlpool addition for a commercial brewer is probably like a 5-ish minute addition for a homebrewers, assuming you dropping the temp of your wort immediately after the boil.
JKoravos

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:23 pm

So I recently tried Tasty's whirlpool method. I turned off the flame and let the hot wort sit for 10 minutes, then I chilled. But Tasty says that he doesn't leave the wort on the trub for longer than 20 minutes. Just curious as to why. When I tried that method I left it on the trub for several hours at room temp for several hours because I had something going on. Could I have adversely effected my IIPA.
milehimark

Previous

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?