Help with hop plants?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 am

Im wondering if anyone has removed the rhizomes from hop plants and if so how this done and how they need to be stored etc. I would like to re-plant my hops in a different location and dont know if there is a way to safely do this without damaging anything. Any help is appreciated as I dont know how I would go about doing this. Thanks.
Brian424

Re: Help with hop plants?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:50 am

There is definitely an episode in the archives to help you with this .,,,sorry just can remember the date... But I think I remember it saying, after harvest cut the vines back to about a 4' stalk and bury that for the winter and when spring comes around dig that back up and you should have new rhizomes groaning on the stalk... Cut off and replant where you want them... As for the existing plant I think they are pretty tough to kill so it may still grow back if you leave some root behind when you transfer... Hope it helps... The episode goes into way more detail than I have!
Jbug

Return to Homegrown