Oxygenation

Sun May 11, 2014 6:16 pm

In Chris Whites and Jamil's book "Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation" They recommended a oxygen flow rate and time, for 5 gallon batches. So what if i'm doing 10 gallon batches? Should I double the flow rate, the time, or maybe both? I''m hoping to get a jump start on trial and error.

"To help homebrewers with the question of how much oxygen to add to a batch of beer, White Labs ran an experiment injecting pure oxygen into 5.3 gallons (20 L) of 1.077 (18.7 °P) wort using a 0.5 micron stainless steel sintered stone at a flow rate of 1 liter per minute. The results show that to reach the desired 8 to 10 ppm, you would need to inject oxygen for one minute."
Bad Goat Brewing

Re: Oxygenation

Sun May 11, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm not a mathematician, so take this for what it's worth. If you had two five gallon batches in separate containers, you would use one liter per minute for one minute in each carboy. That's the same volume as 10 gallons, so I'd just go for one liter per minute for two minutes.

If I remember correctly, Jamil said on a show that they used the same one liter per minute flow rate initially at Heretic, they just ran it for a lot longer.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Re: Oxygenation

Sun May 11, 2014 6:55 pm

cdburg wrote:I'm not a mathematician

I am. And I agree; double the time. If you double the flow, I don't think you will end up with twice as much dissolving, you will end up with more bubbling out through the surface. Doubling the time should get you in the ballpark.
siwelwerd

Return to Fermentation