Re: Wyeast 1056 and WLP 001...they're not the same.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:33 am

Ozwald wrote:.. Know your process, know your yeast

Gautama Buddha could not have said it better!

:aaron
Gary
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:52 am

It's the great thing about 001. People often use it since it's so tolerant & 'hard to screw up', but I came back to it as my house strain because it's versatile. Adjust one of several different things from the MLT to the fermentation temp regime & you can get it to do different things reliably.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 am

like stated above, there are too many unknown variables.
Now, im not knockin your abilities or proccesses, but a true comparison would take many more brews, with absolutely no changes in processes, temps, times, volumes...and on and on.
I, myself, have used both. Plus saf05 and nottingham numerous times.
I suspect that you probably got an abused vial, like someone mentioned above.
Ive gotten a few bad ones, too. Thats another great reason to make a starter. Brewshops are generally pretty cool about replacing a bad yeast, but not so with a full batch gone bad due to using a bad yeast.
ya dig?
snowcapt

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 am

Like the others, I've used both 001 and 1056 and while side by side I've tasted slight variations (ie, split batch, 001 was a bit drier), but nothing
that makes me think 1056 is "inferior". If they weren't side by side, I probably wouldn't have been able to detect the difference.

Besides, a yeast that is blowing off means that it's highly viable. Nothing wrong with that, other than the whole mess thing and all that goes with it. Use a blowoff tube and you are good to go. I've had batches with the same yeast that blew off and others that didn't. Nothing really shocking there.

Overall, I think you should withhold judgment until the batch finishes completely. I'm pretty sure you'll like the results. Wyeast would have been out of business a long time ago if their yeasts were garbage.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:57 pm

BDawg wrote:Like the others, I've used both 001 and 1056 and while side by side I've tasted slight variations (ie, split batch, 001 was a bit drier), but nothing
that makes me think 1056 is "inferior". If they weren't side by side, I probably wouldn't have been able to detect the difference.

Besides, a yeast that is blowing off means that it's highly viable. Nothing wrong with that, other than the whole mess thing and all that goes with it. Use a blowoff tube and you are good to go. I've had batches with the same yeast that blew off and others that didn't. Nothing really shocking there.

Overall, I think you should withhold judgment until the batch finishes completely. I'm pretty sure you'll like the results. Wyeast would have been out of business a long time ago if their yeasts were garbage.

This is exactly right. :jnj I just tasted the beer today, and it smells fine and tastes fine. It's gone from 1.068 to 1.012 and it's still fermenting. 1056 doesn't seem to flocculate as well as 001, and it seems to prefer slightly cooler fermentation temperatures, but taste-wise they're the same. I'm definitely pleased with the results. Ozwald, I was just checking this thread to update it, and I noticed the "know your process, know your yeast" line. I hope you don't mind if I throw it in my signature. I can almost hear the deep-samurai accent.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:17 pm

WAIT! I don't think anyone mentioned that 58F is just too cold for WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. I think your yeast is struggeling at 58F. I've just had the same issue, a very simple pale ale that I've brewed a million times with WLP001 produced a significant amount of sulfur this time around. It fermented at 62F by accident, (my buddy set the controller way to low). It took a while, but an OG of 1.045, FG of 1.010 after two weeks. I think you can get a low FG with to cold of a temp and extra time, but with the consequence of sulfur. How long did you leave it to ferment? I don't think it's a case of White Labs Vs. Wyeast. Hadn't had a contamination yet and no other signs of bacteria/wild yeast during ferm or in flavor/aroma. I think any yeast will produce sulfur if to cold/underpitched.

This fellow found the same thing:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtop ... 6&start=15

Optimal Ferm Temp WLP001:
http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-c ... -ale-yeast

Optimal Ferm Temp Wyeast 1056:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=5
makai831

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:30 am

makai831 wrote:that 58F is just too cold for WLP001 or Wyeast 1056

Wrong.

makai831 wrote:It fermented at 62F by accident, (my buddy set the controller way to low).

I love fermenting 001 at 62. Never had a sulfur problem once. With proper conditioning you can go down in the 50's very easily. It has nothing to do with FG, it's about the yeast character you can achieve at those low temps. Thanks for creating an account just to necro a thread.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:04 am

W/E
makai831

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation