Cinnamon Mead

Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:42 pm

How much cinnamon should I put in a 5 gallon batch of mead? I want to taste it but not have it punch you in the face. Looks like there's a nice recipe on gotmead.com but you have to pay to read their forums. :/
Pri: Community Nudity Ale, Magician Red Ale, Berliner Weisse
Bottled: Paxton's Tripel and Dubbel, 400 Rabbits Ale, Cap'n Crunch Amber Oat Ale

o-<-'<
rhino777

Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:01 pm

You have to pay to read some sections of the forum, but not all. Search on cinnamon and a lot of pages pop up.

With cinnamon I would say 3-6 sticks to start with, depending on the source and the size. If that is too little, add more...

EDIT: The latest Zymurgy has a recipe for cinnamon mead. They call for, I think, 50ml cinnamon oil in a 5 gallon batch or to taste in secondary.
yabodie

Re: Cinnamon Mead

Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Another approach is to use cinnamon oil after the fermentation use like an eye dropper to you taste if you take care and measure out the drops you can get a repeatable result.
PaKettle

Re: Cinnamon Mead

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Similar to the cinnamon oil or extract, you can soak several cinnamon sticks in 6-8 oz of everclear or vodka for a couple of weeks and extract a pretty powerful cinnamon essence yourself.

Dose it via a medicine dropper in an 8 oz sample of mead until you achieve the flavor you want. There about 0.05 mL per drop and 80 cups in a 5 gal batch, so if 20 drops gets you the flavor you want, so can scale up to 80mL (or about 1/3 cup) per 5 gal. That is just an example though...don't dump in 1/3 cup without going through the whole process and tasting it!

Hope that helps,
jacbop
Midland, MI
jacbop
(aka Tom Wilberding, The Uniballer)
Chicago, IL
ImageSergeant, BN Army
jacbop

Return to Mead & Cider