High Gravity Cider

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Been brewing a lot of ciders this past year... about one cider per batch of beer. I find ciders a heck of a lot easier to get into the fermenter and about the same amount of time to ferment down to where I want it. All this time I have just been using unfiltered apple juice from Trader Joe's... as is, with Safale 4 for the yeast. Now, I am thinking about a high gravity cider.

My plan... add one gallon of apple juice concentrate to 4.5 gallons of unfiltered apple juice. Didn't know which yeast to go with... torn between Abbey Ale, Cal Ale, High Grav... all White Labs... and just going with Champagne and killing it when it got to the FG that I was looking for.

1. Does the concentrate sound OK? (I plan to boil the concentrate.)
2. Anyone know of a yeast that works well with high grav cider?

Notes on yeast... I originally went with a clean yeast that would leave a lot of sweetness. I don't know if I have that option with high grav... most of my high grav beers have been either Trappist or Imperial Stouts.

Thanks in advance!
On Tap: Saison
Ferm 1: Sour Ale
Ferm 2: 15 Brix Cider
Ferm 3: Pomegranate Wine
StPatrick

Return to Mead & Cider