Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:40 pm

im1dermike wrote:I figured it would be around 1.050 or something.

1.050 would be true for just the apple juice by itself. The addition of two pounds of brown sugar should have the OG at 1.068 (guessing based on DME). The yeast you used is probably close to done if not finished. If you can get the gravity down to 1.020 I think you will have something tasty.

If you want a dryer cider go with a wine or champagne yeast. Beer yeast will get you around 70% attenuation. Personally I prefer the sweeter ciders made with beer yeast... I use US04 in all of my ciders.
On Tap: Saison
Ferm 1: Sour Ale
Ferm 2: 15 Brix Cider
Ferm 3: Pomegranate Wine
StPatrick

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Just to give you an idea, here is my last cider, what I call my "basic cider":

5.25 gal apples juice
4 lbs brown sugar
Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient

Add all to fermenter, primary 28 days.

OG: 1.072 FG: 0.996
ABW: 8.2% ABV: 10.3%

I keg at 15PSI, add 2 cups of Splenda to back sweeten some.

Not used ale yeast in a long time because I like it drier cider, the back sweetening helps with drinkability with my wife.

Like with my hard lemonade, I base my recipe on what my wife and I compromise on as being good, individual taste may vary.
-I live in my own little world. But that's okay because they know me there.
-Even if alcohol does kill off brain cells, we all know alcohol goes for the slower, weaker ones first -- making your brain more sleek and efficient.
numsquat

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider