Reusing cider yeast for mead

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:39 pm

I am wanting to reuse my WLP775 English Cider Yeast on my first batch of Mead. I am wondering if I will need to rinse my yeast and re-pitch it to a starter before using it to make Mead or if there is another way.
llamabox

Re: Reusing cider yeast for mead

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 pm

My biggest concern would be on the OG of the cider you made with that yeast. If it was over 1.060, it will be stressed and may not perform like you want. The high OG of a mead will cause some osmotic shock to the yeast. If the yeast is already stressed you may have some problems getting the attenuation you want.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 am

Of course I'm new and could be totally off, but isn't that a reason to make a starter. To increase healthy viable cell mass.

From Mr. Matly.
Q: If I'm making a high gravity beer, shouldn't I make a high gravity starter so the yeast become acclimated?

No. In general, starter wort should be between 1.030 and 1.040 (7 - 10°P). If you're trying to revive a stressed yeast, like culturing up yeast from a bottle conditioned beer or from an old slant, use a lower gravity starter wort around 1.020 (5°P). Lower gravity starters are easier on the yeast, but result in less growth. High gravity starters result in more growth, but are more stressful for the yeast. Exceeding the higher end of the range is stressful on the yeast and should be avoided.

Logsdon says, "Generally, you'd use the lower end of that range [1.020 SG, 5°P] for coming off a plate or slant or very old yeast. Yeast don't get used to a high gravity environment, and the high osmotic pressure can really stress the yeast. Don't forget, you want to increase healthy cells in a starter more than you want to increase the number of unhealthy cells."
llamabox

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:45 am

I think it's worth a try. Be sure to use yeast nutrients and it will probably be good. I'm no yeast expert but I think if you've got a fresh yeast cake, you could just spoon or ladel some yeast out, skip a rinse and just go ahead and use it in your mead. But if the yeast has been refrigerated for some time, then of course make a starter. I don't know that it needs to be cleaned or rinsed. I wouldn't. I don't think the amount of cidery stuff in a big amount of mead is going to amount to any trouble. But I'm also sure there's a few yeast sticklers around here who would beg to differ. In the end, do what you think is right, see how it turns out, and learn from your experiences. Isn't that all we can ever do?!
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Return to Mead & Cider