which yeast in cider?

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:54 pm

So I picked up a gallon of fresh cider at the farmers' market today and want to make it all alcoholic and stuff. I tried this same sort of thing last year and got thin, sour piss. Not that it stopped me from drinking it. Last year I also bothered to order Wyeast Cider yest, for all the good it did me.
This year I just want to dump in some of the dry yeast I have kicking around in the fridge. Here are my choices:
Lalvin ICV D47
Lalvin 71B-1122
Lalvin K1-V1116
Lalvin EC-1118
Danstar Windsor

Which one should I go with???
NewEnglander

Re: which yeast in cider?

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:14 pm

I would suggest K1-V1116. :pop
Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Ambrose Bierce
Ironman

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 am

I've just finished about 7 gal. had access to apples left behind after the migrant workers left. Used all the yeast you mentioned with the exception of the danstar. my favorite was the 1122.Red Star montrechet was also nice. The d47 was nasty sulfery not sure why as never had this problem with it in yearly fermentation of elderberries. :aaron
ElfRed

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:50 am

Did anyone else read the subject to this thread and get a flashback to the "record number of entries in cider" quote? I was really wondering which yeast was inside her! :asshat:
Corporal, BN Army
:bnarmy:
Drinking:
Hoppy Brown (Brewmaster's Facebook Friday Special)
Fermenting:
Blonde Ale
Next up:
Flanders?
http://www.facebook.com/zingbrewclub
TheMadHopper

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:04 am

TheMadHopper wrote:Did anyone else read the subject to this thread and get a flashback to the "record number of entries in cider" quote? I was really wondering which yeast was inside her! :asshat:

Yes, and I was surprised that the topic stayed on-track. I'm disappointed, BN Army. Very disappointed. ;)
leaky_porch

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:18 pm

leaky_porch wrote:
TheMadHopper wrote:Did anyone else read the subject to this thread and get a flashback to the "record number of entries in cider" quote? I was really wondering which yeast was inside her! :asshat:

Yes, and I was surprised that the topic stayed on-track. I'm disappointed, BN Army. Very disappointed. ;)

Sorry, it's Candida albicans :asshat:
Sent From My iPhone

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Sheen wrote:Sorry, it's Candida albicans :asshat:

Canadian Albinos?
Private First Class, BN Army

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Grist Licker wrote: