Head retention in ciders and meads

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:20 pm

All,
Is it possible to obtain head retention in ciders and meads? I’ve got a couple of sparkling ciders, and I’m thinking about making a mead.
When I fill up my glass with cider, I get a nice head, but it doesn’t last very long at all.
I’m sure that meads and ciders lack come of the components necessary to get a persistent head, but wanted to see what you all think.
Thanks!
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Re: Head retention in ciders and meads

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:52 pm

head and head retention is caused by protiens. since mead and cider have little to no protien, you will have no head (aside from the surface tension of CO2 escaping from solution)
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:02 pm

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming!
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:55 am

You can use a small amount of wheat malt extract to improve head retention for ciders. It adds a little to the mouthfeel and can add to the flavor if you keep fermentation temps very low and stable. 1 to 1 1/2 lbs in a 50 gallon batch is plenty, I have used as little as 1/2 lb of DME.

For meads, no one would expect a head on it.
Private First Class, Swampmucker Division
GooberMcNutly

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:15 am

Hmmm.....
That's interesting...I may have to give that a try.
Thanks!
Crupp

crupp

Return to Mead & Cider