Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:00 pm

i get that, i'm the same, but why put dumb before it?
kegged-one light summer ale
kegged- one ordinary bitter
bottled- celebration ale
fermenting- ordinary bitter
brewsters millionths

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:12 pm

it doesn't sound right. poppy seeds OR sauerkraut? a particular area of hungary? any more details would help.
bottled- celebration ale
brewsters millionths

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:06 pm

i know they came from Pecs'. Those were my Grandma's words. She had a lot of resentment towards the mill for making her a widow in 1935, druing the great depression with 3 kids. she was quite the outspoken lady. sorry if it affended you. i guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:04 pm

it'll take more than that to offend me. i know al about being blue collar as well. i'm scottish and my father was a docker.(i think you call them stevedores or something) so my wife being from hungary means we're both used to being brought up with no money. if you can expand more on your description? Pe`cs(can't figure out how to get the proper symbol above the e) pronounced paych is a lovely area. redo your phonetic as well if you don't know the original spelling. being from hungarian stock i thought you'd have gone for the hungarian for soup(leves) rather than the german spelling of it.
bottled- celebration ale
brewsters millionths

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:23 pm

i'll ask my mom if she remembers, i might be missing something but i don't know if it will get any better.
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:34 am

Steelers&Beer wrote:Mom? Is that you? Why are you in the BN going by the name of Fuzzy?

You have absolutely no idea how hungry you just made me.
This recipe will be made this weekend. THANK YOU!!!!! I married an Italian and food like I grew up with is very hard to come by now unless I drive 6 hrs with a van full of kids up to Mom's. Don't suppose you know how to make (don't know how to spell this, go phonetic) BA-BIKE-E?

did you ever make this soup recipe? just curious how you liked it if you did. This is one of my families favorites. Every year when I host a German dinner for my parents and my wife's parents, they always request this soup over and above anything else.
Fuzzy

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:48 am

Steelers&Beer wrote:hunkys

Also well known term in Northeastern Ohio where my family is from, we talk about hunky food all the time and it's not in a bad light. A local friend is from Youngstown once described a guy she knew as half Italian/half hunky.

First time I heard the word Mill associated with it, but doesn't surprise me there would variations in it's use. I came across the word in a coal mining book and supposedly mining is where the term hunky first came into use.

Your useless trivia moment of the day :)
:bnarmy:
Brewing, Teaching, Consulting, and mostly just cleaning...

Brewer in NC at a Pub to be named later...
Geistbier

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:30 am

just thinking, the monkey might come from "munka" which is work.
bottled- celebration ale
brewsters millionths

PreviousNext

Return to Great Food VigArously