Fryed food and the oil use....

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:00 pm

Hay kids,
OK I caught the pod cast on food and beer. I was wondering about the oil used, in particular how long you can keep the oil and HOW you keep it. I was always under the impression the oil being a fat goes rancid. I like frying food but can't afford the $10 for peanut oil every 2 to 3 weeks. Can you keep it for multiple uses? How do you store it? How long can you keep it?

Tim
TimCA

Re: Fryed food and the oil use....

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:03 am

TimCA wrote:Hay kids,
OK I caught the pod cast on food and beer. I was wondering about the oil used, in particular how long you can keep the oil and HOW you keep it. I was always under the impression the oil being a fat goes rancid. I like frying food but can't afford the $10 for peanut oil every 2 to 3 weeks. Can you keep it for multiple uses? How do you store it? How long can you keep it?

Tim

Tim,

The mot important thing for oil is to keep the water out of it. Strain it really well. Run it through a coffee filter and don't take the last bit out, as that is where the water will be hiding, in the bottom.

Then, if you keep it in the fridge, it will last a long time. I keep mine in my chest fridge with the beer.

I am paying about $8 a gallon for peanut oil. Ill use it at least 7 to 10 times before it gets tossed. That works out pretty well. I have oil 6 months old in the fridge that still tasted fine.

The thing that kills the oil, like I said, is water, or other burnable fats like butter or olive oil. And if you rub too many spices on your food or use batter it will also shorten the life of your oil. Under the skin spice injection will be better.
GooberMcNutly

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks for the reply,
One question though, If the oil is at say 350F shouldent the water "boil " out? Also are you talking a paper filter?
Thanks
Tim
TimCA

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:59 pm

TimCA wrote:Thanks for the reply,
One question though, If the oil is at say 350F shouldent the water "boil " out? Also are you talking a paper filter?
Thanks
Tim

The problem is that some of the water will hydrolize with the oil at those high temps, turn into a plastic (for lack of a better word) and remain in suspension. It isn't the water per se, but the chemical reactions with the hot water and oil that hurt the oil. Then, when the oil cools down it can also keep water in it.

I just use a paper coffee filter. The "gold" mesh filters will work much more quickly, but you don't block some of the really fine particles. Letting the oil sit quietly for 2-3 hours will let most of that stuff settle and then I just scoop out gently with a measuring cup and pour into the coffee funnel. I got my plastic coffee funnel at a yard sale for $0.25. Spare no expense for saving oil. It takes a lot longer with the paper than the mesh, so expect 2 hours for filtering instead of 10 minutes.
GooberMcNutly

Return to Great Food VigArously