Re: Dry Rub for Smoking Ribs

Mon May 31, 2010 8:39 am

I have foun a ton of info @ www.amazingribs.com
Meathead on that site who i believe runs the site has is an excellent source.
I also use the 3-2-1 method works great. I have gas so i made a smoker box and use the indirect heating method.
As meathead says " if you boil ribs the terrorist win" and "if your lookin u aint cookin"
kbat

Mon May 31, 2010 4:40 pm

I don't think you want to baste or mess with them too much once they get in the smoker, as everytime you open that sucker they can really lose a lot of good heat. Just my 2 cents. Then again I have trouble letting them sit longer than they need to.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:00 am

+10 on this, that site is great. Meathead's Memphis dust is a great rub and the Last Meal Ribs recipe is off the hook. The Texas crutch is essential, in my opinion, to make excellent ribs.

kbat wrote:I have foun a ton of info @ http://www.amazingribs.com
Meathead on that site who i believe runs the site has is an excellent source.
I also use the 3-2-1 method works great. I have gas so i made a smoker box and use the indirect heating method.
As meathead says " if you boil ribs the terrorist win" and "if your lookin u aint cookin"
On Tap:
1. Black as Coal Stout
2. Yellow Snow Pils
3. Smivey Brown Christmas Ale
4. Blueberry Pie Blonde

Secondary: empty
Primary: Doo Doo Brown Ale

on the horizon: undetermined
balvey

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:35 am

How about using the "Texas Crutch" for the finishing touch on those ribs?
Peace through music - Playing for Change
http://www.playingforchange.com
Thure

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:06 pm

shunt wrote:anybody use a WSM to smoke?
(Weber smokey mountain)

I love mine and I can hold 225 for hours with perfect smoke.

I just got a deal on a Brinkmann smoker similar in design to your WSM< have not used it yet, but cant wait to get some ribs goin
sinkas

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:36 am

I won't cook ribs any other way than this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe/index.html

Dry Rub:

* 8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
* 3 tablespoons kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:

* 1 cup white wine
* 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:43 pm

So many different way. I put a dry rub on the ribs after peeling away the silverskin and cover with plastic and let them sit overnight in the refrigerator.

Lately I have been using the 3-2-1 method I learned here when smoking spareribs at 250F which take a hour or so longer than baby back ribs.

3 hours on the smoker, flip once halfway through. No added mop liquid.

Put each rib in a foil pouch with some basting liquid and smoke for another 2 hours or so, flip once.

Last hour take out of the foil and mop and smoke some more.

Then we wrap them up and often go to a friends house where he puts them on the grill for a few minutes and if you like them wet, add a little BBQ sauce while still on the grill.

These folks are in Lake Tahoe for the month, so I'll be staying home.

Now that I have made many fires and been able to figure out how to keep my smoker near 250 for several hours, I am going to try a piece of beef as well which is less forgiving than pork from what I understand.

I've several BBQ books, and found this one similar to Palmer's "How to Brew" a good starter that you can go back to time again and learn something new.

bcmaui

Previous

Return to Great Food VigArously