Spent Grain Recipes

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:43 am

Does anyone have any good spent grain recipes?

I've tried a couple that I found on the internet and all I end up with something either really freaking hard or something that is gooey in the center no matter how long I cook it.

Thanks!
mikebiewer

Re: Spent Grain Recipes

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:44 am

mikebiewer wrote:Does anyone have any good spent grain recipes?

I've tried a couple that I found on the internet and all I end up with something either really freaking hard or something that is gooey in the center no matter how long I cook it.

Thanks!

I know someone who just ate spent grains, and had so much soluble fiber that she lost 5 lbs in a week (or so she claims).
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:15 pm

LOL.

Nice.
mikebiewer

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:01 pm

I use this recipe that I found here a few years ago.

Dog Biscuits
4 c flour, 4 c spent grain, 1 c peanut butter, 1 egg
Roll flat, bake 325 30 min, 225 3 hrs

I make a batch of thes with every batch of beer, I have not fed my dogs commercial cookies for years

add a little honey and some peanuts and/or rasins, cook less and they are good granola bars.

Sean Paxton also has a recipe for crakers on his website....those went over very well at the holidays with
salmon roe and strong cheese.
The BN Army.......you can't have a revolution without soldiers!!!

Always try to be the person that your dog thinks you are!

CaribouBill -- BNArmy Ranger, Great White North Division
CaribouBill

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:31 pm

5 Season's Brewing in Atlanta has spent grain bread. One loaf for a dollar. Guess it's cheap just because they are just trying to get rid of waste. But the stuff is GREAT! I've gone there and had nothing but the bread and the beer. I tried to get a recipe, but no luck. :( I talked to the head brewer, Crawford Moran (may have heard him mentioned both the Terrapin Session and CYBI shows), and he said the chef doesn't care what kind of grain it is. He just brews a beer, no matter the style, and has the grain conveyed to the kitchen. Sure do wish I could get that recipe!
Corporal, BN Army
:bnarmy:
Drinking:
Hoppy Brown (Brewmaster's Facebook Friday Special)
Fermenting:
Blonde Ale
Next up:
Flanders?
http://www.facebook.com/zingbrewclub
TheMadHopper

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:58 pm

I add spent grains to artisan breads that I bake in the Dutch Oven. The loaves that come out are crusty and chewy, and seriously great. Looking forward to when it is cool enough to do some baking. The general technique can be found at http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-12-01/Easy-No-Knead-Dutch-Oven-Crusty-Bread.aspx . The first one I made had a pound of grain, which ended up being way to husk laden and scratchy. I now use about a half pound and blend it with the water in the recipe and skim/strain some of the husks out so that it isn't quite as tough. I know that 0.5 lb per loaf won't use up all that much for the all grain brewer, but it works with the steeping and partial grains I use in my brewing.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:10 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: The general technique can be found at http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-12-01/Easy-No-Knead-Dutch-Oven-Crusty-Bread.aspx .

I'm surprised there is no mention of Jim Lahey's book in that Mother Earth article referenced above.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0393066304/?tag=10.03.10-20
bcmaui

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Mostly because the Mother Earth article was printed a year and a half before his book was published... :D

I think that there are a couple videos of him on youtube talking about the technique as well... have you read the book? I haven't, just wondering what you thought.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously