Well, would you fry your turkey in your boil pot?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:25 am

Sure, why not?
22%
No way, are you nutz?
78%

Total votes : 46

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:28 am

DannyW wrote:Wouldn't suprise me if Krotch's kettle DOES get a turkey fried in it this year...

...by the guy with the white pickup trolling around his neighborhood for scrap!

Geez, I *wondered* what that background flavor and aroma was ;) I just figgered it was Krotch's personal hygiene getting in the brew :shock:

Prost!

Michel
zymurgest

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:49 pm

Thirsty Mallard wrote:I would in fact use my current boil kettle. Then I would have a valid excuse to buy a nice new shiny one with a welded spigot and thermometer coupler.

Also, I would like to point out that your survey is invalid as it lacks a "No Pants" option.

Thirsty, that's because frying oil and naked pee-pee equals Emergency Room :lol:
bergerandfries

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:51 pm

I'd only use your boil pot, if you want your next beer to be fowl!
Cheers,

Sean Paxton
www.homebrewchef.com
Sean Paxton

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:09 pm

I have fried food in my brew pot, which is a SS turkey frier pot. Whenever I did this I put the pot in the dishwasher which takes care of removing all the oil and grease. No ill effect to my beers so far. Once I have a better system I won't do that anymore though.

But I don't think that frying is a good way to prepare a turkey. A turkey has to much connective tissue that will not be broken down by 45min or frying. I have fried a turkey twice so far and was very dissatisfied with the results.

Kai
Kaiser

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:35 pm

I've fried lots of turkeys and that is the only way to cook them. You can't do a real large bird and the bird has to be completely thawed. If you only fried for 45 minutes it was either a very small bird or you undercooked it. I don't think I've ever finished in less than an hour. The meat about falls off the bones and is very moist and tasty.

Milt
Milton B

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:53 pm

My 13 lb bird was done in about 50 minutes. That is 50 minutes from after the whole bird is in the oil, which takes about 2 minutes to lower into the oil. It was done all the way, moist, and came apart quite easily. Not as much as some dried out old bird that has spent 12 hours in the oven, but I could pull each joint apart with a fork. I run the oil right up around 350 to 370 the whole time.

I am next going to try 2 or 3 whole chickens in my boiler this weekend. Inject each one with a different beer and rub down with something tasty.
GooberMcNutly

Previous

Return to Great Food VigArously