What's up from Rhode Island

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:02 am

Yo fellow soldiers, new forum user here, from tiny RI. Moved to the Ocean state several years ago for grad school and haven't left yet for some shitty reason. Even got a job and married, so now I'm stuck (originally from NC). I'm a listener to the live shows and archives for almost a year. Been brewing for about 2.5 years (moved to all grain about 6 months ago!). Love the information and community, looking forward to being a part of it. Cheers

-Alex (AMac)
AMac

Re: What's up from Rhode Island

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am

Welcome to the forum! How has the all-grain brewing been coming along for you?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:21 pm

Can't get enough of it. Certainly got the brewing fever. Just brewed my 6th all grain batch, double ipa (with Warrior, Falconer's Flight, and Equinox) and I just kegged an ommegang Hennepin clone. Really stoked. Also the kegging is a huge bonus, just splurged on a couple kegs and a kegerator that I put together (mini fridge and 2 tap tower). Never to bottling (except from the taps!) again. Now I'm just trying to get my process consistent so I can start pumping out good product and entering competitions.
AMac

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:32 am

Cool. Kegging is such a time saver. When you feel like you are honing in on some recipes for comps, a blichmann beer gun goes a long way when bottling from the keg. I use it all the time for competition entries and love it.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Welcome!
I was born and raised in RI
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:03 am

brewinhard wrote:Cool. Kegging is such a time saver. When you feel like you are honing in on some recipes for comps, a blichmann beer gun goes a long way when bottling from the keg. I use it all the time for competition entries and love it.

Does the gun work significantly better than a CO2 purge or capping on foam with a tube insert into tap faucet? I just found a tube that will fit and I plan to bottle some from the tap so I can mail a friend. Thanks
AMac

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:28 am

That way works okay too, but not for as long as long term storage is concerned with the beer gun. If you are serious about competing, a beer gun is a great choice for packaging your beers.

The other method (Tasty's) works great for sharing beers with friends and for competitions when the beers will be judged (and not stored) relatively soon.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Welcome fellow New Englander!
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Return to New Users