Meister...do I need to change my name?

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:10 pm

I saw the message on facebook the other week, and I listened to the tribute on the Session. I've had countless inquires in the chat and PMs about whether or not I was "that kid who used to hang out here" or "are you Meister of Puppets?" I've been Meister here on the forums and in the chat for exactly a year to today, and before that I was JMan551 and a listener for a couple of years. Due to the circumstances, I feel a little awkward using the name Meister. I never knew him and I've never heard his pieces in the archive.

Most of all I do not want anybody to think i'm being disrespectful, and figured I would ask the crowd: Is the name Meister off limits, or retired? Not trying to make a big deal of it, but like I stated I would feel a little awkward logging back into the chat using this name if it upset people.

Cheers :jnj
JER
Meister

Re: Meister...do I need to change my name?

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:27 pm

I vote to retire it. If nothing else, it will save you having to field those questions.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Yeah, me too, and mostly like Spider said, so you don't have to keep answering the questions.
Shit, I remember asking you in chat one time if you were him.
You don't need that.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure we can change your name without deleting the account. I know Code changed Mylo's and Badrock's names way back when, so I know it can be done.

What do you want it to be?
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 pm

BDawg wrote:Yeah, me too, and mostly like Spider said, so you don't have to keep answering the questions.
Shit, I remember asking you in chat one time if you were him.
You don't need that.

I did the same...
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 pm

Hey Meister ... Yeah, Code should be able to change your name without disrupting your account. Just let us know the new name. Having hung out with you a bit in Seattle, at least I'd know who you still are. Is Philly on the horizon for you in June?

Oh yeah ... the original post. I would change it just to not have that mis-association. If you like the name, maybe something like "Meister (not of puppets)" <-- although then maybe there would be some offense taken. If you have a hard time picking a new name, you could always just call into the session and I'm pretty sure JP or Justin will have given you a new name by the end of the call anyways.

:jnj
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:41 pm

If I had the power to change your name, I would have done it already... something fun and creative... :unicornrainbow:
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 am

Lets have a re-name Meister game!
Tell us about yourself and we'll come up with new forum name for you.
Could be fun.....or a disaster! :asshat:
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:42 am

The Brewer Formerly Known As Meister (TBFKAM for short).

I myself see nothing disrepectful about keeping the name, since you had it before his passing. The inquiries will fade eventually.

You could also use Google translate and change "Master" to a different language. I vote for Yiddish: באַלעבאָס :D
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Beer Radio