Parti-gyle Show?

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:02 am

I know they spoke a little on the subject when doing the CYBI Fullers shows, but I don't remember (nor could I find) a show dedicated to the topic of parti-gyle brewing. I'm looking for calculations for OGs, wort splitting ratios, total grains needed to mash. It would be nice to listen to discussions on this topic as I work. Did I miss it or was this one of the topics that was overlooked by the BN?

Worm to Your Mother,
Ben the Brewer
BenTheBrewer

Re: Parti-gyle Show?

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:55 am

It has been discussed on a few shows, but I don't think there has ever been a whole session or brew strong devoted to the subject. I would be a good topic though. I have only done one partigyle, and while the beers were good I feel they could have been better.
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:32 pm

I was going to mention the Fullers show, but I think denny touched on it in his first appearance. Somethin like 8/14/06 or somewhere in there.
ive done a few and i just set a second recipe by the prevoil volume and put it where it should be, if needed, by adding dme.
capiche?
snowcapt

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:59 pm

I would like a show on this also. Nothing like two beers from one grain build.
hiddenorchard

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:16 pm

i agree, id love to see a show on it
baddad

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:49 am

I really like the idea of parti-gyle brewing, I have to admit that I have trouble hitting my gravities with this method and I needed to use DME to make up the difference. A show on this would be great....Moscow are you listening?
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:50 am

i've done two or three partigyle brews, I've been less concerned with my numbers than I should have been, but I've always been close.

I was doing some reading online and saw some information suggesting that two-thirds of your sugars come out in the first runnings and the last third comes out in your sparge. Using that info plus your projected efficiency, you should be able to get fairly close.

I wrongly estimated my efficiency on my last partigyle batch but the two-thirds/one-third thing seemed to hold fairly true: my last partigyle yielded 5.5 gallons to each fermentor - one at 1.072 and the other at 1.038 (I oversparged a bit and had to boil the shit out of it to get it down to the right volume).

I'm not a scientific brewer, though, that's for sure. I don't have the time or leftover energy to put that damn much effort into worrying about it. I have my processes down, I have a fairly good fermentation control situation, and I have a pretty decent understanding of ingredients...I'm not too worried about repeatability and hitting my numbers at this point. It would be much better for a really good brewer experienced with partigyle brewing to give a proper overview and examination of details.
Bottle: Lonely Beer Party Bitter, Mildly Amused, Saison Du Biz (two fermentors with slightly different ferm. temps), Noah's Parti Bitter

Fermentor: Noahs Parti Wine-o

Coming up:
Wutz

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:41 am

I'm glad to see someone else is curious about this. I am not a high gravity brew fan. If I could get a 1.055 and a 1.038 that would be fine. However I wouldn't know where to start. 1.072 is a little high for my tastes.

Ben the Brewer
BenTheBrewer

Next

Return to Beer Radio