Gone pro: Starting a brewery in Massachusetts

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:23 am

<pimp>

Hey folks. Sadly, I've never really been able to keep up with the forums here, but I've been a listener for many years and I very much credit Jamil's style shows in drastically improving the quality of my brewing. Like many of us, I'm sure, I've tinkered with the idea of starting a brewery for many years, but I never really found a path that would make it happen on the right terms. I just hoped that if I kept doing what I was doing, eventually the right opportunity would come along, and that's pretty much exactly what happened. The lease has been signed, so I can finally start talking about Medusa. It's been a very long time coming, but a team has come together and we are finally making progress in establishing a new brewery.

Medusa Brewing Company will be a 100+ seat taproom brewery located in a 5,000 square foot space in Hudson, Massachusetts.. It will not be a brewpub in the conventional sense: we are definitely in the beer business and not the food business. (While we'll offer some small bites, visitors are welcome to hit up our various neighbors for food or bring their own.). With a 7-barrel brewhouse and a substantial cellar capacity, we'll be offering a wide and varied rotation of beers on draft as well as growler fills.

Although the ball is rolling, the licensing and construction phase is lengthy, and our current projected opening date in July 2014. In the meantime, those interested can follow our progress on the web/Facebook/Twitter. You can find all that junk at http://www.medusabrewing.com

Cheers, - Keith

</pimp>
Sergeant, BN ARMY
stumblemonk

Re: Gone pro: Starting a brewery in Massachusetts

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:05 am

Congratulations!! I'm looking forward to making a trip down in July to check it out. Are you going to be strickly draft/growler or do you plan on brewing some bottle aged stuff?

Best of luck to you.

P.S. My birthday is in July....just saying :wink:
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 am

Awesome! Well, with any luck we can treat you to a birthday pint. :)

We'll be predominantly doing in-house draft and growler (32 and 64 oz) sales. We'll do a bit of outside kegging as well for sales to some of our favorite area bars and restaurants. No plans to do any further packaging out of this particular facility. We do have space earmarked for barrel-aging projects, though.

TheDarkSide wrote:Congratulations!! I'm looking forward to making a trip down in July to check it out. Are you going to be strickly draft/growler or do you plan on brewing some bottle aged stuff?

Best of luck to you.

P.S. My birthday is in July....just saying :wink:
Sergeant, BN ARMY
stumblemonk

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Can you describe your system?
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:26 pm

7 BBL electrically-heated brewhouse from Stout Tanks, six 7 BBL fermenters and eight 7 BBL jacketed serving tanks. Floorplan, chiller, and glycol loop will accommodate up to four additional fermenters and servers.

Kbar wrote:Can you describe your system?
Sergeant, BN ARMY
stumblemonk

Return to Off Topic Stuff