Fake IPA haze?

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:54 am

I've seen a few beers from the new england area that look like they have super haze, not just haze from a butt ton of hops or chill haze, the beer looks like orange juice. It seems to be a trend around here, anyone else seeing this?
On tap:Meg's wit , Oddball Stout, Janet's Brown with all Columbus
The cellar:Krampus American Barleywine,American capitalist stout,American capitalist stout V1.2
The fermentor:Dark sour, Helles, DIPA,
The works:Golden sour,Munich dunkel, Saison
nodstonothing

Re: Fake IPA haze?

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:25 am

Starch or yeast?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 am

I don't think it's yeast, I had a can sitting in the beer fridge for a few weeks and still poured just as hazy. Starch is definitely possible.
On tap:Meg's wit , Oddball Stout, Janet's Brown with all Columbus
The cellar:Krampus American Barleywine,American capitalist stout,American capitalist stout V1.2
The fermentor:Dark sour, Helles, DIPA,
The works:Golden sour,Munich dunkel, Saison
nodstonothing

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:17 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the trend nowadays for some east coast breweries. Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, etc. The beers are definitely not clear at all. Taste great though!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Yes, I have seen many VT and NH beers that are hazy as hell. Some of them are yeast, plain and simple. You can taste the yeast bite in them when you drink them. I'm not sure what people are doing to keep that much haze in there, or why they think it is OK, but I am sure they would be better if they were cleared up.

There was one brewery around here that fined 1 keg of stuff and people thought it was a much nicer version of their beer.

The whole cloudy thing in "east coast beer" really drives me nuts.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:55 pm

I've only visited one New England brewers (603) and ironically the pale ale and IPAs were pretty hazy. :?
NervousDad

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:14 pm

I can understand haze when its necessary. Like from wheat when its used to build body. Or a hefe when it is intentionally bringing a good flavor to the glass. I can understand it when its expected like from hoppiness in an IPA. But more and more often it seems to be due to a fault and then explained away as normal. If the cause of the haze is detracting from the quality, the explanation falls on deaf ears with me.
Klickitat Jim

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:07 pm

603 is one of my preferred NH brewers (I like the rye pale ale...the green can). I have noticed over time that their clarity has improved. The last can I had (yesterday) was pretty clear, similar to a sierra pale ale. Six months ago when I got one, it had a noticeable haze in it (I am not sure what kind of haze it was).
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Next

Return to General Beer Related