Foaming problem

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:12 pm

First my system. After the primary fermentation is down to 1006 sg. I Keg. It then usually sits for two to three weeks before we start drinking. I've been doing this for about ten years. Last summer I go to tap my keg and I get beer and then straight foam. I figure too warm - no its happening now in my cold basement. I figure too higher pressure - no I release pressure down to where it's barely coming out, still foam. If I pour really slowly, and I mean slowly, the tubing is clear beer, as I open it up it changes to foam, I slow down and its clear again.
Any thoughts or suggestions ---- please, its really pmo that I can't just pop down to the basement and get a jar lickerdy split.
Thanks Peter
hopping mad

Re: Foaming problem

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:33 pm

At typical kegging settings - 40°F at 10PSI, 6 feet of 3/16 ID beer line will have enough resistance to keep your beer from foaming up.

What temp is your keggerator? What pressure is your CO2? What are the dimensions of your beer line?
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Re: Foaming problem

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:30 am

Like Bdawg mentioned, I would think your tubing is possibly too narrow, too short or your CO2 regulators are off.

If you have a Cobra tap raise the tap in the air above your head or higher than you would normally dispense from and pour a pint. Does it pour with less foam then? If it pours with less foam (due to gravity slowing down the flow) dial back on your CO2 pressure.
Afterlab

Return to General Beer Related