Re: Need Help – Mystery Infection

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:37 pm

I never had a problem with it, but our local welding supply shop noticed that more homebrewers were filling their tanks there so they get some sort of 'certified' gas now. Honestly I think it was just so they could charge a little more per refill.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:56 pm

I know a little about gas(too easy...) The difference is that certain tanks get a higher filtration for particulates(even though they don't really need it) and some "batches" get tested for purity so they can issue a CofA and put it on the label.
Odds are pretty low that you would get impurities at any grade of CO2. It is in their best interest to produce pure clean gas in the first place.
Also, food and beverage safety regulations probably require retailers to sell certified gas when they know it is for consumption. Probably the welding guy talked to the gas guy about all the homebrewers and he got a heads up.
Effingbeer

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:22 pm

Contaminated gas is unlikely but it does happen. There was a BN army blog post about this issue some time ago. You should also try cleaning and sanitizing a keg and putting in a gallon or so of sanitary or sterile water. Hook it up to the gas and see if it develops the same off-flavor.
maxwell

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 pm

maxwell wrote:You should also try cleaning and sanitizing a keg and putting in a gallon or so of sanitary or sterile water. Hook it up to the gas and see if it develops the same off-flavor.

+1
hoodie

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:30 pm

you could always just decide to brew only berlinerweisse or other sour beer ... then all would be "fixed".

With the quick changes from pre-carbonation (I assume you tasted it at that point) to carbonated a few days later, it sounds like a cold side issue and I would guess that it is with your tap lines, gas line, and/or check valves. I would replace all those on one of the three taps and see if you notice an improvement. Good luck and don't give up ... figuring out this crap is frustratingly part of the fun. :jnj
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:45 am

Thanks guys, a lot of good ideas. I'll definitely bottle a few next batch, and try a version of the starter wort/water tests. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to tear it all apart. Havi g a 4 year old and a 1 year old makes it hard to disappear in the basement for any amount of time!
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 am

Brew Engineer wrote:Thanks guys, a lot of good ideas. I'll definitely bottle a few next batch, and try a version of the starter wort/water tests. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to tear it all apart. Havi g a 4 year old and a 1 year old makes it hard to disappear in the basement for any amount of time!

Take em down there with you & give them a nail gun to play with. You'll be fine :wink:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm

a car battery and a couple jumpers works, too.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

PreviousNext

Return to General Beer Related