Re: PBW Help

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:33 am

Kbar wrote:1 US Ounce = 2 US Tablespoons

That's fluid oz. Oz of weight is different depending on the substance being measured.
siwelwerd

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:14 am

siwelwerd wrote:
Kbar wrote:1 US Ounce = 2 US Tablespoons

That's fluid oz. Oz of weight is different depending on the substance being measured.

And the person measuring it. Take 5 different people to put a cup of flour on a scale & I guarantee you'll get 5 different weights. Even in baking, I weigh everything, including my water - same as any professional bakery.

As for the original question, the ratio isn't too critical like it is with your sanitizer. I weighed it a few times, so I've got an idea of what they suggest, but I haven't done that in many years. I eyeball it. Since I reuse mine & it inevitably gets diluted a bit each time, I test it with my finger for the right feel. It's basically like making soap, caustic+fat=soap; a quick dip of the finger should create a chemical reaction between the PBW & the fats/oils in your skin & feel slippery. While it's not considered 'safe' by OSHA standards, it's just PBW (not full blown caustic) and I know I'm in the ball park; it's not so overly-concentrated that it's going to eat my flesh with a quick touch (& I rinse my fingertip immediately).

But like I said before, it's not critical that you get it spot on. Mills' suggesting of ~1 TBS per gallon is likely close enough. Throw in an extra scoop or 2 if it makes you feel better. It won't hurt anything... and it'll clean faster.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 am

Ozwald wrote:
But like I said before, it's not critical that you get it spot on. Mills' suggesting of ~1 TBS per gallon is likely close enough. Throw in an extra scoop or 2 if it makes you feel better. It won't hurt anything... and it'll clean faster.

I use 1 TBS/per gallon and the hottest tap water I have with positive results. The only time I have had a problem with too much was when i used 2-3 times that concentration (cold) in a better bottle, which caused the bottom of the better bottle to crack open when I left it for a day or two. I didn't think that could happen, and I don't fault the better bottle for my forgetfulness.
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:41 pm

I can quite happily use half that (1 teaspoon per 2 litres). A couple of caveats... I'm a disorganized fuck, so my gear will soak for a day or so. My tap water is relatively soft (low in minerals, which is important) and I start out with hot tap water 50C (so 140-ish in US money?).

Peace,
Billy
BN Army Canberra Battalion, Oz Regiment
bbbilly

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 am

The coffee scoop that came with my coffee maker worked out to by .5oz. Coffeemaker brand
My Homebrewing Adventures/Blog

Image @Lewybrewing
________
Corporal BN Army. South San Diego Platoon, TJ Protection Force
Lewybrewing

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Yeah, I just pour from my 1lb canister til it seems right.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:41 pm

I use 1 tablespoon/gallon for just about all brewing applications. Occasionally a little more, if something's particularly nasty.
dogismycopilot

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:59 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Yeah, I just pour from my 1lb canister til it seems right.

That's pretty much what I do too. The problem with measuring it using a scoop (or by volume in general) is that everyone's 1 tablespoon is going to weigh differently. Luckily it's not something that needs to be precise. I always like to go pretty heavy with the mix.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Beer Related