Non-BJCP Score Sheet Help

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 am

Anyone have a non-BJCP score sheet they would like to share? I'm trying to develop one for our club to use when we have competitions that are not style specific. I'm leaning towards awarding points for the basics, like head and foam stability, carbonation, clarity, taste, etc, and taking points away for defects. As well as how well the brewer hit the theme or comp guidelines. I am hoping to come up with something easy for both novice brewers and experienced judges to use. Any one have ideas or am I heading in to the black?
gotsumbeers

Re: Non-BJCP Score Sheet Help

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

Maybe use it as a guideline. If you take out ID, Rank & Qualifications from the left column, the first line & bottom box of the right column (and the 'appropriate to style' behind Aroma, Appearance, etc) you could probably type out a pretty good one.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:56 pm

How about using the beer checklist or something similar? http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Beer_checklist.pdf
Bokonon

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm

I know this is old school, but there is also one in the back of Charlie P's "Joy of Homebrewing" that might work well for beer evaluation. It is at least worth a look.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 am

In some of our small informal competitions we add an entry category called "Best Damned Beer". This is different from the best of show beer in that how well it fits a style doesn't count for anything. It is simply the one that folks want to drink over any other. That in a nutshell is the entire judging criteria. Even if the competition is for only a couple specific styles, this extra category is wide open for any style or something that fits no style. It's a fun category. You never know what someone will dig up out of their beer cellar.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 pm

For our club competitions, I have noticed that we get more entries when we open it up to multiple styles as opposed to just a certain style or strict theme. As such, the next quarter competition is to brew a beer and enter it using the BJCP forms that are already available. The club members are advised to provide a style if applicable or to at least describe what they are trying to create.

For the judging, BJCP guidance it to judge a beer against how well it matches a standard style. For this completion, that wouldn't necessarily work since all beers may not be "to style", so judges will be asked to judge a beer on the "pleasantness/quality" of each BJCP judging category (appearance, aroma, mouthfeel, and flavor), then Overall is judged on how well those different aspects of the beer complement each other. In the end, it will be a judging on how good of a beer it is as opposed to how well it copies a defined style. Not sure how well it will work out, but I'll be able to tell you after the September judging.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks for the replies. I too have found people in my club prefer to be more broad in their brewing. We'll get more entries for a comp of "Session Beers" than a set of BJCP styles.

I'll post whatever it is I come up with and see what you all think.
gotsumbeers

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Have you considered using Charlie Papazian's score sheet from the "Complete Joy of Home Brewing?".

It's a 20 point system: 3 points - appearence, 4 points - aroma, 10 points - flavor, and 3 points - overall. You can also modify the sheet at your own discretion.
wsbrewn

Next

Return to General Beer Related