Beer Allergies and Propylene Glycol

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:33 am

Hello Beer Heads,
I recently found out I am allergic to propylene glycol, which is very common in all kinds of soaps, shampoos, etc. So I ditched all my old stuff, got new soaps, and things are better. But I still have some of the skin rash symptoms of the allergy, and it got me thinking of PG in my diet. Anyone know of specific PG in beer and wine? I drink Summit EPA pretty regularly. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Tron

Re: Beer Allergies and Propylene Glycol

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm

I found this product

"STABILFOAM is a food grade propylene glycol alginate, specially developed and produced as foam stabilizer for beer. It gives to beer a more stable, longer-lived, creamier foam."

So it may be that some breweries use it. I would avoid any "heading liquid " or "foam stabilizers".

Another great reason to brew your own!
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Propylene Glycol is non-toxic, food safe and fairly inert, so I would continue to question that it is the culprit, though people have allergies to all sorts of things. There is so much toxic garbage in personal care products that just changing to products without propylene glycol may not eliminate the culprits. Using an "elimination" type system can be very helpful in identifying allergens.

As to beer, I don't know any craft breweries that use foam stabilizers in their beer. The big guys, yes, but I wouldn't worry about small breweries.

Here are my top 3 crunchy-hippie-hypocondriac-conspiracy theorist fun tips:
(1) Eat organic. It's not for elitists, its about surviving the wasting diseases of the future.
(2) Brush your teeth with baking soda and peroxide instead of drug store toothpaste. Fresh from the dentist clean everytime (and cheaper).
(3) Filter your shower and drinking water for chlorine/chloramine and if your city doses the supply, fluorine (requires separate filter media).

Keep an open mind, most offenders are hidden in plain sight.

Best of Health!
Monty Burns

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I was also diagnosed with an allergy to propylene glycol 2 years ago. I was tested specifically for that in 2 types of tests so I am 100% certain that's what it is. I was already a fairly all-natural kind of person but still had to make further modifications with everything that I consume or absorb, etc. I was able to go off of asthma meds that I had taken for 20 years and no longer have chronic asthmatic bronchitis. I have been drinking craft beer for quite some time now and "know my brewer." The issue of what to drink on the rare occasions that I go somewhere with friends that does not have a decent beer selection. I know that if in doubt I can generally go with German beer due to the German Purity Law. It would be nice to have a list of beers that use StabilFoam in their beer products the same way there are lists of vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, etc. Or ingredients disclosed on the packaging. Or something...
Also under suspicion are artificial flavorings and/or colorings. PG may lurk in there as artificial flavorings are proprietary and straight up food coloring (not sure about dyes and lakes) is pure PG. Our brewer used real pumpkin (from a can) in their pumpkin ales last fall. The mass produced kinds of pumpkin ale may be artificial flavor.
Good luck and if you or anyone else discovers any good resources on which beers contain StabilFoam, I would greatly appreciate your passing the info along. Thanks!
frantastical

Return to General Beer Related