Guess my OG!

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:47 pm

Ok, I hear a lot of experienced brewers say "The OG on this beer was between 1.050 and 1.055" or the like.

I totally stumped! How the hell would you tell the OG?
Is this FM? ( Fukin Magic )

Also, I hear people say that is is nice to have a low FG. Why? If the beer tastes good and fermented out completely, why is it better to have a lower FG?

Thanks again!
jonrober

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:20 am

There are a few ways to tell OG. The most simple is to use a brewing software package like ProMash or Beersmith. As you enter your recipe, these programs will calculate your OG and expected FG. If you want to do the math a good read is http://howtobrew.com. There is plenty of great brewing info in there.
As far as the FG, low is good in some cases. Basically the lower the FG the dryer the beer will finish and the higher the alcohol content will be. Some beers have a high FG because of the amount of malt used, or because there is lots of unfermentable sugars in the beer. Hope this helps a little.

Brew on!
Peace!
pvignola

Re: Guess my OG!

Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:50 am

jonrober wrote:Ok, I hear a lot of experienced brewers say "The OG on this beer was between 1.050 and 1.055" or the like.

I totally stumped! How the hell would you tell the OG?
Is this FM? ( Fukin Magic )

Also, I hear people say that is is nice to have a low FG. Why? If the beer tastes good and fermented out completely, why is it better to have a lower FG?

Thanks again!

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking how to project what you think the OG of a beer will be or how to tell what the OG is of something that you have brewed?

If you are trying to figure out what your OG will be on something that you are going to brew you can either do the math, use an online calculator or buy some brewing software. DME gives you about 1.040 for 1lb of DME in one gallon of water. Specialty grains will affect that a bit.

If you are wanting to know how to tell your OG after you have brewed you need to take a hydrometer reading prior to pitching your yeast. Take a look here
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:55 am

OK, let me take a stab at this...

If I read the post right (or at least my take on it), The first part asks, "How can you taste a beer and guess the OG?" Is it FM? Not really, more like experience.
As you taste the beer, alot of things come into play. Body/mouthfeel [is it thin or thick(chewy)?], does it taste of alcohol (ethanol has a flavor). Does it finish dry or sweet? What is the style the beer fits into? All of this steers you toward the answer. Experience plays a big part in this, but it can be learned if some one shows you the ropes, (i.e, puts a name to the things you are tasting.) Just drinking alot of home brew won't do the same thing. :wink:

I've always said to new brewers that trying to hit your OG when brewing is important. This will get you closer to the beer you set out to brew in the first place. Most new brewers are more concerned about ending up with a full 5gals of beer (usually by diluting up to the 5 gal mark). Although you can still end up with a great beer, it doesn't help you grow into a better brewer. I think that's the reason we are all here in the first place (and why you are ready this post.)

The second part about the "low finishing gravity", is relative for the style,OG,etc. The low FG statement here means (to me), "did the yeast finish it's intended job or did it poop out too early." A Barleywine that finished at 1.028 could be considered "low" for the style. But if your Kolsh finishes at 1.014, you finished too high. It might still be ok as a beer (but probably too sweet) it wouldn't be balanced and it would be judged out of style.

Do you have to brew to style? No, but that's not the point. The point is, shooting for something (your target beer) and being able to achieve your goal. It doesn't have to be a recognized style, just the fact that you did what you set out to do. It's all about making the next batch better than the one before it.

Cherrs,
Dr Scott
Cheers,
Dr Scott

Beer colder than your Mom, Whiskey older than your Dad...
Dr Scott

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:43 am

Once again, good job Doc.
Peace!
pvignola

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:50 am

Thanks!
Cheers,
Dr Scott

Beer colder than your Mom, Whiskey older than your Dad...
Dr Scott

Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:43 pm

Thanks!

That is what I was after, Dr. Scott!

I should've been clear with my request. I know how to do Hydro readings. I was after how one can tell by tasting the already bottled beer.

I'm working on the experience part. Im diggin the beer tasting on the show. Great idea!

Thanks again!
jonrober

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing