Reusing Yeast

Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I have a porter in the fermenter right now, but plan to rack to secondary in a few days. Question is, next batch is an IPA. Can I just dump the new wort onto the yeast cake after I rack off most/all the porter? I used WLP004 if that makes a difference.
Midnight0666

Re: Reusing Yeast

Mon May 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Midnight0666 wrote:I have a porter in the fermenter right now, but plan to rack to secondary in a few days. Question is, next batch is an IPA. Can I just dump the new wort onto the yeast cake after I rack off most/all the porter? I used WLP004 if that makes a difference.

Can you? Yes. Is it the best idea? No, you're probably overpitching if you do that. Better to take more like 1/4 the yeast cake, and go into a new fermentor.
siwelwerd

Mon May 06, 2013 3:59 pm

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29552

You could easily rinse & reuse the yeast, but for an IPA I would highly, HIGHLY suggest a different strain in the first place. The flavors 004 gives off are going to come across as off-flavors & it won't be a very enjoyable beer.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 am

Thanks for the info. Guess I hadn't thought about a British Ale Yeast not being the best choice for an IPA.
:lol:
Midnight0666

Thu May 09, 2013 1:07 am

The British one's aren't all that bad. The Irish in particular just has a much different flavor profile. But then again, all of us Irish are a little different. :wink:

If you want to reuse it, it's a great yeast, but look at the different Scottish shillings or even a strong Scotch. Of course it's meant for an Irish Red. Pretty much anything that's malty & has a similar flavor profile to the Irish Red is going to play nicer with the 004's flavor profile.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing