Some advice please..

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 am

Guys,

I am brewing a brown ale extract.

Est OG was supposed to be 1.052, I came in at 1.047.

Used Wyeast 1332 Northern Ale smack pack. I made an error and put it in my 5gal carboy thinking it was my 6.5gal carboy. I used a bubbler and no blow off, thinking it was my 6.5gal not needing the blowoff. Woke up the next morning and the krausen was rising. Figured I would let it go and check it after work. Got home to a mess most of the krausen was on the bottom of the fridge. I racked to a 6.5gal bucket, put on the bubbler and let it roll. By the end of day 2 it was fermenting so vigorously all the water in the bubbler was blowing out the breather holes in the cap. I had to actually add starsan/water to the bubbler as it has all bubbled out the breather holes. WOW active ferment huh? Continued to bubble and ferment normally for another 2 days. Its now been 11 days and went to rack to keg. Checked FG and it was at 1.026. What the? Did I lose yeast in the blow off? Temps were steady at 69-70 degrees. Should I repitch some dry lager yeast? No LHBS carries that yeast so its either order a smack pack or just throw some dry lager yeast in it. Is it possible to have that active of a ferment and come up that short? I tasted it and it is sweet and not done.

Thanks
Brandon
BranEverhardt

Re: Some advice please..

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 am

warm it up and shake it up. if it doesnt get going, make a starter, get it active and pitch it in. it's tough to get them going again, good luck! Drew :jnj
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:13 pm

+1. Usually that's enough to wake them up. If you don't see any improvement after about 3 days, then a package of dry yeast (I'd go SafAle - 04. US-05, or Nottingham) rehydrated would be the smart thing.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks guys. I don't have all the items needed to make a starter. I did snag some dry lager yeast from a friends supply and some pilsner DME. I wish my LHBS was open sundays, but I don't have any thing to make the starter in to ensure it is air locked. Best I could do is a sanitized 22oz bottle with some plastic wrap and a rubber band.

I cant get it any warmer than 69-70 degrees. If I rehydrate the dry yeast, should I add some yeast nutrients?
Brandon
BranEverhardt

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:43 pm

nah, shouldn't need it.
Just rehydrate the dry yeast before pitching. Boil some water, cool it down to about 90F
(yes, ninety farenheit) and dump the dry yeast in. let it sit for 20 mins then pitch that.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Great. Thanks!
Brandon
BranEverhardt

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing