DIY Conical < $50.00

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:14 am

Thats less than $50 australian dollars too..

So.... I'm sitting around on the weekend, not brewing so I'm bored; and I decided to have a go at a little project I've been thinking about.

I'm a shithouse syphoner, and I've been lusting after the lovely stainless conicals that you see in the LHBS but I'm too cheap to buy one. So I thought I would try to make one out of off the shelf bits and pieces. And Bugger me, but it seems to have worked.

Here it is all together. I filled it up with water and it didn't leak a drop for about 5 hours. It holds 25litres filled almost to the brim.

Closeup of the 30cm funnel and 15mm ball valves

All pulled apart so it can be stored and sanitized properly. No real gaps etc for bugs to hide in (valves also come off) and each individual peice can be replaced if they get too scratched or worn.

Altogether about $48 bucks from the LHBS and hardware store. plus a few bits I already had lying around. But I bought the food grade buckets new at $10 a piece and I understand that they aren't really all that hard to scrounge up for nothing. So you could do it cheaper.

Now all I've got to do is try to brew beer in it.... mmmmmm beer
Thirsty Boy

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:50 pm

Wow that's pretty awesome bug! Have you gotten to use it for a beer yet?

WichitaBrewer
WichitaBrewer

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:18 pm

dude, that is awesome. looks like you found a funnel large enough to put oil in oz's car - you know, the holden with pistons the size of manhole covers.

now i gotta look around for a big funnel.
code
codewritinfool

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:46 pm

You are a dead set legend, Thirsty Boy!!
PLAN, v.t. To bother about the best method of accomplishing an accidental result. - The Devil's Dictionary
skipper

Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:11 pm

That looks like a modern art masterpiece private pyle...lol. let us know how it works, looks nice.

Gerard :aaron
BrewNoob

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:07 pm

WichitaBrewer wrote:Have you gotten to use it for a beer yet?

Nah, only finished making the damn thing about 9:00pm last night, but I was pretty chuffed about how it all came to gether and had to show off immediately :D Gonna test it out on a heffe sometime in the next week or so. I figure if it will hold a Hefe, pretty much everything else will be OK

codewritinfool wrote:now i gotta look around for a big funnel

I got mine at a homebrew store that does winemaking too. It wasn't even close to the biggest one they had. :shock:

Fun to make, sure is going to be embarrassing if it pops apart when its full of lovely lovely beer though. Nah, I reckon it'll be OK.
Thirsty Boy

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:40 pm

Thirsty Boy wrote:Fun to make, sure is going to be embarrassing if it pops apart when its full of lovely lovely beer though. Nah, I reckon it'll be OK.

Let's just hope the [airlock|blow off tube] doesn't get blocked.

What is the blue bit made out of?
PLAN, v.t. To bother about the best method of accomplishing an accidental result. - The Devil's Dictionary
skipper

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:49 pm

that is fucking awsome

ogh...did i say fuck........

sorry....ah fuck i didnt it again.................but mate that is fucking awsome
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment