my damn cat and hops

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:29 pm

i started my hops in pots this year and every morning i put them out on the deck , and take them in at night, still pretty cold at night here, anyway they are up about 3 inches tall and i noticed last weekend that the top of a couple of them were gone. finally figured out the cat wanted to see what they tasted like. now the ones that are broke off aren't growing, will they start up again?
my name is Richard Edward, just call me Dick Ed.
speed

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:18 pm

From my personal experience, No, they will not start growing again. However, for you sake I hope I am wrong! :cry:
BadRock
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:21 am

Lime cat says your cat must die. He knows better than to eat my hops. He pitys the fool cat who does not.
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
RIS
Hefe
Pumpkin Ale
English Brown
American Blonde
O'fest
APA
Alt
Schwarzbier
Dry Stout

FERMENTING:
Nugget Nectar Clone
baltobrewer

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:36 am

send me your address and i will send you my cat so limecat can kill her himself.

5/11/08 uptdate
hops seem to be growing, not from the stem that was eaten but from just below it.leaves are really starting to sprout
my name is Richard Edward, just call me Dick Ed.
speed

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:04 am

speed wrote:send me your address and i will send you my cat so limecat can kill her himself.

5/11/08 uptdate
hops seem to be growing, not from the stem that was eaten but from just below it.leaves are really starting to sprout

Unless the cat eats 'em consistently for a few months, they'll keep sprouting. Or at least, mine did. One that was completely eaten even sprouted the next year.
Whelk

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:21 pm

I'd monitor the litter box for potential hop sprouts.

Just sayin'...
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Dude, its not often that I disagree with BadRock but this is one of those times. Your hop bine will keep growing unless it is badly damaged, in which case it will throw up another bine. Against the stem right where the leaf connects, your plant will begin to grow side shoots. If your plants top gets pinched, or in your case bit off, one or both those side shoots will become the main bine. Not to worry, they are hearty plants, unless you have spider mites, but thats another story.
"I encompass, and I eclipse..."
J.Brew

Return to Homegrown