Struise Pannepot question

Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi

Listened to the Struise show just after having bought a load af PannepØt which is just so good. I would also like to try Pannepot as well but haven't been able to find it here in DK so far.

What stroke me from the radio interview was that one of the struise brewers mentioned they used dry yeast from Lesaffre - does anyone here know which yeast strain?

Also, I've been reading about their beers on the Struise homepage. They mention using chocolate and coffee in Pannapot. Is it really coffee and chocolate or are they referring to malts here?

Does anyone know this?

Thanks

/Frank
frankreitz

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:20 am

Hello Frank,

sorry to get back so late to you but ther are so many topics...

We have different yeast cultures we use in the different beers we brew. As Struise is a little budget brewery, and do not have a million dollar lab, we use dry yeast to regenerate our cultures from Fermentis wich is a part of the Lesaffre group. If you use beersmith or promash, you can find them under DCL.

The chocolate & coffee we use in the Pannepot comes from the malts. All our malts are delivered from Castlemalting.com in Belgium.

If you have further questions, do not hesitate, I am at your service.

Cheers, Urbain@struise
Urbain @ Struise

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi Urbain

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm really astonished about your willingness to share your brew-information with us. As a homebrewer I would be interested in knowing which strain you use for the Pannepøt? My guess is S-33 but it could also be T-58?

Thanks again
/Frank
frankreitz

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:58 am

We use our home yeast that is regenerated every 5 batches with 2 x 500 grams of T-58. But we use open fermentation too, soo there are always some extra bugs in our beer... :wink:
Urbain @ Struise

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:44 am

Hi Urbain

Thanks a lot. Just a final question. For how long time do you age Pannepot before you release it for sale? It's so smooth and I was wondering if it may be because of lagering or something else?

/Frank
frankreitz

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:40 am

Probably due to the very smooth aftercare of Carlo :P

Otherwise ;

1st fermentation : 4 to 5 days max in open vessel
2nd fermentation : 2 weeks in closed rvs tank
lagering : 6 weeks in closed rvs tank
warm room : 1 week (bottle or keg conditionned)
cold riping : 6 weeks

Total : +- 16 weeks from brewing day to release on the market.

Cheers, Urbain
Last edited by Urbain @ Struise on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Urbain @ Struise

Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:26 pm

Urbain @ Struise wrote:Probably due to the very smooth aftercare of Carlo :P

Otherwise ;

1st fermentation : 4 to 5 days max
2nd fermentation : 2 weeks
lagering : 6 weeks
warm room : 1 week
cold riping : 6 weeks

Total : +- 16 weeks from brewing day to release on the market.

Cheers, Urbain

Urbain,

in between fermentations 1 and 2 do you switch fermentation vessels or do you change the fermentation temperature and leave it in the same vessel?

thanks,
bbkf
suck it
boobookittyfuk

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:42 am

yes, we pump over from open to closed vessel...

1st fermentation is temperature controlled at 75° F

2nd fermentation is temperature controlled at +- 62° F
Urbain @ Struise

Next

Return to Beer Radio