HERMS Question

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm fabiricating a HERMS system with my old immersion chiller. In placing it in the HLT, I realized it could be a problem with direct contact with the bottom of the kettle. Will this be an issue? Anyone have experience with this?
-Russ-------------------------------------------------------
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - R. Reagan
Who is John Malt?

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:45 pm

I didn't do mine that way (against the bottom) but I don't see a problem. The wort is being pumped through there and will immediately cool right back down to the temp of the water in the HLT as it continues through the coil. Besides, the water keeps it below 212°F
Danno

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:07 pm

Is there a difference in direction of flow?
-Russ-------------------------------------------------------
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - R. Reagan
Who is John Malt?

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:41 pm

Hmm, I can;t think of one.
Danno

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:23 am

if your using propane to heat the Kettle, at the end of the boil i spray the sides and bottom to take the heat out and help wit cooling , so no worries with the chiller touching the bottom
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Return to All Grain Brewing