JSP maltmill

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:58 pm

I am looking to buy a jsp maltmill. They offer two types one preset to .049 and an adjustable one. My question is should i fork out the benjamins for the adjustable one or just go with the standard on. If i do go with the adjustable one i will have to put the gear drive an larger hopper kit on hold. Any info would help, i have posted on two other sites and i will buy on on sunday so any input is really helpful. THANKS
Liberty Brewer Company
Serving- Molson Ice
Fermenting- Libertys all-grain IPA 1
Fermenting- Libertys all-grain IPA 2
lagering- Libertys first all-grain Pilsner 1
insco2

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:32 pm

The JSP comes with a great guarantee that no one has ever complained about. Lack of adjustability is it's downfall but then that's not that big of a deal since at most, it will cost you in a minor efficiency loss which can be made up by adding another pound of malt (probably even less). The adjustable version is a joke since it only adjusts from one side. If you want to adjust your mill, then buy one that is truely adjustable at both ends. Again, adjustability is not necessary.
Danno

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:35 pm

For whatever it's worth to you. I use the standard JSP malt mill. I have removed the handle and added an extra flat to the shaft. I then tighten a hand drill on the end of the shaft to turn the roller. I am getting an acceptable crush, and my efficiencies are around 75% to 80%. 86% if I do an overnight mash. I find that when I crush grains like wheat and rye I like to run them through twice to get a finer crush, then I add rice hulls to the end of the mash in order to avoid stuck mashes. I hope I've been of some help to you, and I hope you're happy with whichever you decide to buy.
EJHintz

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:41 pm

I have an adjustal JSP, but I haven't adjusted it since I cranked it all the way down. It's not like I change it for different grains or anything. But the nice thing about the adjustable is that it can get finer than the standard.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.
--Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Brewing Water Page - Enter and view water data.
George

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:04 pm

guyz thanks!!! this forum really moves the replies. ive been on other forums and i can be days between replies. this is great! thanks again by the way this is the motor i bought to run the maltmill. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005120122543656&item=5-1086&catname=
Liberty Brewer Company
Serving- Molson Ice
insco2

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:12 pm

insco2 wrote:guyz thanks!!! this forum really moves the replies. ive been on other forums and i can be days between replies. this is great! thanks again by the way this is the motor i bought to run the maltmill. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005120122543656&item=5-1086&catname=

Holy Crap! Bodines are back in stock? Does the rest of the home brewing world know about this? I haven't heard anything. I've resisted motorizing my mill, but now you've got me tempted again...
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.
--Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Brewing Water Page - Enter and view water data.
George

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:30 pm

29$ plus shipping what a deal look at this pic for coupling input http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brewer007 ... pg&.src=ph
Liberty Brewer Company
Serving- Molson Ice
insco2

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:51 pm

http://brewheads.com/mill.php
check out this site everything you need to bodine your mill
Liberty Brewer Company
Serving- Molson Ice