Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:30 am

How does the wort out tube seal?
“This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!” - Friar Tuck in ‘Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves’

" You take ass and spread chocolate on it you have chocolate ass" Jamil
Goo Brew

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:16 am

It just fits very tight through the bung. If you have to you can use silicon to seal stuff.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:15 pm

Lufah,

Can you make a comparison between a slotted copper manifold and your stainles flexible?

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Dogger Dan wrote:Lufah,

Can you make a comparison between a slotted copper manifold and your stainles flexible?

Dogger

No I can't. This is all I've ever used. I don't think it would make much of a difference for batch sparging. I really wouldn't recommend it for fly sparging. I think you would get to much channeling. The copper manifold would be a lot better for fly sparging IMHO.

Travis

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:15 am

Why didn't some one tell me I'm not supposed to use the braid for fly sparging? Ah well. I'm still making beer.
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:50 am

seanhagerty wrote:Why didn't some one tell me I'm not supposed to use the braid for fly sparging? Ah well. I'm still making beer.

It works OK :!: :?: I had always read that you would get to much channeling that way. Goes to show what reading to much will do :oops:

Travis

-Dave Barry
Lufah

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:05 pm

I started using a long stainless braid that loops around in the bottom of my Gott drinking cooler. I've only done fly sparging since I started AG, and everything seems fine to me. I've read all over that fly sparging is better, but I didn't take that into consideration when using the braid.

I like the manifold idea. Having a slotting manifold reminds me of a lateral assembly in a sand filter. That assembly is made for an evenly dispersed flow thru the filter media. Wouldn't that hold true for a grain bed as well?
"We ALL put the yeast in"

-The Three Stooges in "Beer Barrel Polecats", 1946
dawgfur

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:51 pm

Nice set up travis. I hope I can put together something just like it before too long. You do 10 gallon all-grain batches, right? What size is your cooler again? I think I'm going to do 5 gallon batches. Wondering what size cooler I should get. Any ideas?
2DogAle

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing