Mash efficiency

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:32 am

I recently brewed my first 5 ga. all grain (B3 IPA II). The brew is keged and tastes good with a F.G. of 1.017. I couldn't get an O.G. reading as my hydrometer only goes to 1.065 and it was about 1/2"-3/4" beyond that. My question is how do I figure my mash effiency?
“This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!” - Friar Tuck in ‘Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves’

" You take ass and spread chocolate on it you have chocolate ass" Jamil
Goo Brew

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:20 am

Well, you can't exactly. Don't sweat it and get a larger range hydrometer for the next batch.
Danno

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:30 pm

I keep reading about extraction percentage, how do people know this. I took a gravity reading of the wert coming out of the mash tunm, does this tell me? I don't really care what it is, but I would like to know (ref). My beer tastes good to me and I got a nice little buzz from one glass. :D
“This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!” - Friar Tuck in ‘Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves’

" You take ass and spread chocolate on it you have chocolate ass" Jamil
Goo Brew

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:47 pm

effiency is a measure of the assumed maxium extract vs. the measured extract from a mash. So if you totalled up all of you grains and you were to pull every single bit of sugar out of those grains that would be you maxium. So if you grains maxed out @ 1.100 and you wort after you mash measured 1.085 you have 85% efficency.

At least I think that is how it works.

Brad
wezil

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:09 pm

THere is a way to work it out of your FG with a hydro reading and a refractometer reading, but im not to sure what the equasion is.....maybe a good question for the godfather this weekend????
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:14 pm

Ozbrewer wrote:THere is a way to work it out of your FG with a hydro reading and a refractometer reading, but im not to sure what the equasion is.....maybe a good question for the godfather this weekend????

You can work it out but you have to have the OG, which the OP did get (out of range for his hydrometer).

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:00 pm

Ozbrewer wrote:THere is a way to work it out of your FG with a hydro reading and a refractometer reading, but im not to sure what the equasion is.....maybe a good question for the godfather this weekend????

Here's a website that will calc the OG based on your finished refractometer and hydrometer readings: http://brew.stderr.net/refractometer.html

And wezil pretty much nailed the efficiency formula. Cheers....
Dave
DLS

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:15 pm

it can be done in promash aswell
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Return to All Grain Brewing