Good Brewhouses & Brew Pubs in Maine

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:47 pm

So will be getting married in June of 2016 and we have started the Honey Moon destinations. Currently we are looking at going to Maine. I make it a point to always try new beers whenever i am able, especially when going out to eat. With that said, does anyone know of any good beer destinations in Maine? Please don't be an :asshat: and ignore this like :nutters: any recommendations are appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Hopped Hanger
Beer now cheaper than Avgas
HoppedHangar

Re: Good Brewhouses & Brew Pubs in Maine

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:14 am

Not a brewery, but ever since hearing about this place on the Session a few years ago, it's been on my bucket list. http://www.ebenezerspub.net

Do yourself a favor, and dig this classic up from the archives. 3/23/08 - DeStruise/Ebenezer's

I seem to recall some kind of falling out between them, so not sure if mentioning DeStruise will get you very far, but Ebenezer's still sounds amazing.

Edit: Their website still prominently displays, "Black Albert," a beer DeStruise brewed for them, so I might be wrong about that falling out...
Last edited by dogismycopilot on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogismycopilot

Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:07 am

Maine Brewing Company in Freeport should be on the list. It is a little outside Portland and Freeport also has an outlet shopping section (if the new wife is into that kinda thing and needs a better excuse than "to get some beer" to go there).

Are you just going to traverse the whole state or are you going to be in a specific place?

Gritty's (brewery in Freeport and a bar in Portland) has some tasty offerings as well. I would certainly drop by the bar and get a pint if you are in town anyway.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Outstanding! I forgot they had them on the Session. I will look it up.
Skol

dogismycopilot wrote:Not a brewery, but ever since hearing about this place on the Session a few years ago, it's been on my bucket list. http://www.ebenezerspub.net

Do yourself a favor, and dig this classic up from the archives. 3/23/08 - DeStruise/Ebenezer's

I seem to recall some kind of falling out between them, so not sure if mentioning DeStruise will get you very far, but Ebenezer's still sounds amazing.

Edit: Their website still prominently displays, "Black Albert," a beer DeStruise brewed for them, so I might be wrong about that falling out...
HoppedHangar

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:46 pm

We have absolutely no plans yet, except we are think of going to Maine. I know I would like to be able to go to some coastal cities and buy some days catch of fish and lobster. I will add Freeport to the list. Shopping would be great, as she has "not found a beer she likes yet" as the saying goes. I do keep trying to get her to sip both what I brew and order. In a few years she will be :aaron like a champ!

NateBrews wrote:Maine Brewing Company in Freeport should be on the list. It is a little outside Portland and Freeport also has an outlet shopping section (if the new wife is into that kinda thing and needs a better excuse than "to get some beer" to go there).

Are you just going to traverse the whole state or are you going to be in a specific place?

Gritty's (brewery in Freeport and a bar in Portland) has some tasty offerings as well. I would certainly drop by the bar and get a pint if you are in town anyway.
HoppedHangar

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:28 am

If you follow the coast up through Maine you will hit most everything of interest. Acadia National Park is up near Bar Harbor which is a very nice park to visit and a nice town to go through. I believe there are a couple breweries up there too, but I would certainly go to Acadia.

For perspective, from Kittery (sourthern end) to Acadia (not a lot north of there) is 5-6 hours of driving. If you are down by Kittery at the southern end, you will be near a bunch of stuff in New Hampshire along the seacoast. There are maybe half a dozen or more breweries within 30 minutes driving of there. Also Portsmouth, NH boarders Kittery and is a nice place to spend an evening out dining and drinking the local offerings.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 am

Novare Res (restaurant) and Allagash in Portland, ME are good to visit, especially if Allagash has any coolship beers for sale.
Earth Eagle is a brewery in Portsmouth, NH that had nice offerings as a Nano 2 years ago...haven't been back to the area since.
Next:
Fermenting: Cider, Azacca Oat Pils, Egregious-ish, Lambic, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead, Brett Helles
Drinking: RIS, Doppelbock, Sauerkraut Gose, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Rye Berliner
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel
dstar26t

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:04 pm

dstar26t wrote:Novare Res (restaurant) and Allagash in Portland, ME are good to visit, especially if Allagash has any coolship beers for sale.
Earth Eagle is a brewery in Portsmouth, NH that had nice offerings as a Nano 2 years ago...haven't been back to the area since.

Right around Allagash is Bissell Brothers, Foundation, Austin St.

Further south along the coast you have places like SoMe, Banded Horn, and Tributary(Tod Mott from Kate the Great fame). In Portsmouth like dstar mentioned is Earth Eagle, who just expanded their tasting room, brewing up some nice gruits and ales. Nearby there is Stoneface, Throwback and Smuttynose (noce facility).

This may help too: http://mainebrewersguild.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/for-web.pdf
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Travel