Advice on first sour

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 am

Popping my sour cherry today. I'm doing a 2.5G lambic test batch today and this will be my first attempt at a "wild" ale. I have a starter from a bottle of Beersel Oude Kriek and Petrus Aged Pale dregs. I'm debating whether to pitch for primary fermentation or use US-05 then pitch the dregs starter into secondary. I'm leaning towards pitching the dregs starter without saccharomyces into primary. What do you think?
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Re: Advice on first sour

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:03 pm

How big of a starter have you built up the dregs in? 2.5 gallons is not a very big batch so I would think that if you have them built up into a 1 L starter you should be fine. I would suggest not pitching the saccharomyces as they will quickly eat the sugars in your wort and not allow it to sour as fast as it could. If your pitch is small, then you might consider pitching a vial or pack of brett (B, L, or trois) along with your dregs to ensure a proper fermentation.

Either way you decide, be sure to mash high (158F) if all grain, and I would avoid aerating the beer to keep your bacteria happy. Be patient and give it time to do its thing.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:00 pm

I have a 1.3L starter that has been fed twice. It started as an 800mL starter with 1.020 wort. I added 1L of 1.040 wort after three days. Today, four days later, I decanted about 500mL to taste. There's definitely some sour to it. I did mash at 158 and included about 7% carapils in the bill to give the wild things some longer-chain sugars to feed on.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Sounds like you are ready to rock then. I would just pitch your starter and let it ride. Keep your temps between 65 and 70F if possible.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:17 pm

As long as your starter is eating everything you are giving it, I'd so go for it. You'll have to share your results. I've neverjust used yeast/bacteria from a , but it does sound tasty.
Bad Goat Brewing

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:07 pm

I pitched 1L of the starter into 3G of 1.050 wort and it was rockin 12 hrs later. I just hope I have some brett and lacto in there not just brewer's yeast that was used for bottling.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Did you taste any of the starter before pitching it to determine if it was tart, funky, or even sour? If it was, then you had more than just sacch. in there.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Yeah, there was some sour taste to the starter. That's promising.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Next

Return to Fermentation