Re: Building an IPA

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:30 pm

I live in Chandler, AZ which is a city in the greater Phoenix area. Our water has loads of calcium. I tried to view my cities water report but the latest one I could find on the gov website was dated in 2013. With how extreme our temperature can fluctuate within a week or two its probably difficult for them to maintain a consistent quality level on such a large scale.
brewlander

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:57 pm

RO has pretty much nothing in it. Until you get up to speed on the intricacies of water building, my suggestion would be to get a scale capable of measuring grams. Gypsum and calcium chloride are dirt cheap at the brew store. Try using about 6 grams gypsum and 3 grams calcium chloride for your IPA. Thats a decent conservative starting point. If no scale, maybe a tsp gypsum and half tsp calcium chloride.
Klickitat Jim

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:05 pm

I just sent Mylo a text. He lives in Chandler and probably has the water report. He's one of the moderators, though he hasn't been on here in a long time. Hopefully he'll chime in here.

You might be good doing something like 1/4 tap with 3/4 RO mixed in, and a teaspoon of gypsum or somethign like that, but I'd let Mylo answer first.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Okay awesome, thanks again guys. I do have a scale so when I go to my brew store tomorrow I will pick some up and put in the gypsum and CaCl.
brewlander

Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:40 pm

Being from the west coast, I suggest no crystal malt. Cut out the C-40. Try some Munich ILO.

All other suggestions are great!

As Jamil says - fermentation temperature control is paramount, and as the other poster said, 67F ambient is not 67F in the fermenter. Make sure you know and understand you true fermentation temperature.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:02 am

What is wrong with Crystal? is it all of them or just the 40? just not a fan of it in general or is there downsides to the malt
brewlander

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 pm

brewlander wrote:What is wrong with Crystal? is it all of them or just the 40? just not a fan of it in general or is there downsides to the malt

It will leave a bunch of residual sugar. Especially at that amount and in that big of a beer. It will make it hard to enjoy more than a pint
Klickitat Jim

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Klickitat Jim wrote:
brewlander wrote:What is wrong with Crystal? is it all of them or just the 40? just not a fan of it in general or is there downsides to the malt

It will leave a bunch of residual sugar. Especially at that amount and in that big of a beer. It will make it hard to enjoy more than a pint

Awesome, good to know
brewlander

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles