Over Yeasting During Bottle Condition

Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:49 am

So I bottle conditioned my Pale Ale. I calculated out the dextrin, but accidentally put in five times the yeast I was supposed to. Its about half way through and carbonating well, but the (I assume extra yeast) is imparting a fruity characteristic that wasn't there at the end of fermentation. Do you think this was caused by the overyeasting? Are these esters? Will this fall off with time, or do I have a super yeasty Pale Ale now.
stephenlcurtis

Re: Over Yeasting During Bottle Condition

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Are you filtering before bottling? If not there's no need to add yeast. Even beer that is crystal clear has plenty unless you filter
Klickitat Jim

Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:30 pm

I agree with Jim. Even if you cold conditioned (or lagered) that beer for a while, it would still have enough yeast to finish the job.
With that being said, I would be surprised to find out that it was the extra yeast causing any extra fruity esters in your bottled product simply b/c there is not enough of a fermentation going on to produce these with the minimal amount of sugars for bottling. How do you know your beer tastes "fruitier" than before? Have you already popped open a couple for sampling? If so, then it could just be that the carbonation is bringing out the hop aroma and fermentation profile created during the primary. An overall "yeastiness" could be the culprit as well since you do have a bit more than necessary. Give it a couple weeks and try another to see if the "green-ness" of the beer subsides. Post back with your results if possible.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:53 am

Klickitat Jim wrote:Are you filtering before bottling? If not there's no need to add yeast. Even beer that is crystal clear has plenty unless you filter

I understand. However if I do that how do I control it such that the carbination levels are consistent with every brew on the same recipe?
stephenlcurtis

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:55 am

brewinhard wrote:I agree with Jim. Even if you cold conditioned (or lagered) that beer for a while, it would still have enough yeast to finish the job.
With that being said, I would be surprised to find out that it was the extra yeast causing any extra fruity esters in your bottled product simply b/c there is not enough of a fermentation going on to produce these with the minimal amount of sugars for bottling. How do you know your beer tastes "fruitier" than before? Have you already popped open a couple for sampling? If so, then it could just be that the carbonation is bringing out the hop aroma and fermentation profile created during the primary. An overall "yeastiness" could be the culprit as well since you do have a bit more than necessary. Give it a couple weeks and try another to see if the "green-ness" of the beer subsides. Post back with your results if possible.

This character came about around a week into bottle conditioning. I will give it a few weeks and post the difference. Thanks for the help.
stephenlcurtis

Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:03 pm

stephenlcurtis wrote:
Klickitat Jim wrote:Are you filtering before bottling? If not there's no need to add yeast. Even beer that is crystal clear has plenty unless you filter

I understand. However if I do that how do I control it such that the carbination levels are consistent with every brew on the same recipe?

By how much priming sugar you add and to a small degree by the highest temp the beer reached after fermentation is done. CO2 is a factor of sugar being converted to alcohol. Unless you mechanically filter, you dont need to add yeast.
Klickitat Jim

Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Klickitat Jim wrote:
stephenlcurtis wrote:

By how much priming sugar you add and to a small degree by the highest temp the beer reached after fermentation is done. CO2 is a factor of sugar being converted to alcohol. Unless you mechanically filter, you dont need to add yeast.

Got it. Thanks for the help. Im also hoping to get the beer gun soon and thatll be easier :)
stephenlcurtis

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:31 pm

[/quote]
Got it. Thanks for the help. Im also hoping to get the beer gun soon and thatll be easier :)[/quote][/quote]

I love my beer gun. One of the best brewing gifts I ever got from my wife (although I had to prod her a tad...).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing