When to bottle 100% Brett beer

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:43 am

My Brett starter got down to1.010.
My 100% Brett beer got to 1.010.
Is it safe to bottle? It's an oaked pumpkin beer. No speciality grains just used wheat and pale extract, pumpkin and spices.
norfire0

Re: When to bottle 100% Brett beer

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:31 pm

norfire0 wrote:My Brett starter got down to1.010.
My 100% Brett beer got to 1.010.
Is it safe to bottle? It's an oaked pumpkin beer. No speciality grains just used wheat and pale extract, pumpkin and spices.

I've never done a 100% brett beer, but the beers I have done with brett didn't stop at 1.01. It's my opinion that brett gets really slow towards the end. How long has your gravity been at 1.01? Also, how warm is your fermenter?
Bad Goat Brewing

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:34 pm

I would guess that the majority of that 10 remaining points is mostly starch from the pumpkin. Brett-food.

I would age it a while at d-rest temps & try to knock down a few more points. It'll drop really slowly, but there is enough brett-food in there to burst a bottle left long enough. I'd feel a lot more comfortable under 1.006-7, keeping the bottles a bit below cellar temp & not sitting on them overly long.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:23 pm

What was the OG?
What temp is being stored at?
How long has it been at 1.010?
Bad Goat Brewing

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Definitely leave it in the primary for a bit longer. No worries with autolysis as the brett will consume itself when the cells rupture their goody insides. I have 100% brett beers finish in the range of 1.006-1.014 depending on grain bills and mash temps. When used as primary fermenters they are not as attenuating as when used in secondary under more difficult conditions. Let the beer sit for a total of 2 mos in primary. If you see no change in FG towards the end then by all means bottle it up. If your gravity is still somewhat high (ie 1.010-1.012) then you might want to consider going on the low end of carbonation levels just in case.

Or better yet, just keg it!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:28 am

+1 @brewinhard. my 100% brett beers usually stop around 07-08 after a month or so. ofcourse it may depend on recipie and process..
i usually keg the most of them and maybe bottle the last liters. from what i know brett can keep going in temperatures down to about 4C.. we have pretty thick bottles over here so i just carbonate as i would with out concerns... my beer dissapear pretty quickly tho.
No beer is good in your cellar, it's only good if you drink it with your friends!
nicsub

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing