Forbidden you don't have permission

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:41 am

What is up with the forbidden messages on the forum when connecting on a PC?

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/ on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Tags and taxes on 3 vehicles = brewing withdrawals
KYT

Re: Forbidden you don't have permission

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 am

Are you logged in? You need to be logged in to use the search. This was/is to save the servers from being otherwise beaten to shit by bots.

Otherwise, post the url that you are requesting next time so we can repro this.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 am

Well I wasn't trying to search at all. I was logged in and when I tried to go to the main listing I get the message. I can't get to any forum page to try to login again.
KYT

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:43 am

How are you posting this then?
code
codewritinfool

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:30 pm

From my phone.
KYT

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Since the site isn't broken and you can reach it from your phone, looks like there's a problem with your computer. I'm guessing that somewhere the old site IP is cached and that's what your home machine is hitting. I'd try a different computer or a different browser and see if you can narrow it down further.
code
codewritinfool

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Weird. The site has always worked from my home PC, it's just my office PC that has trouble. I'll mess with it some more tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
KYT

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:46 am

Well its got something to do with the office network. Our logon script sets our machines to Automatically Detect LAN settings so we have to route through a ridiculous maze of switches, subnets, and who knows what other convoluted path to get out. Which also goes through some half-baked firewall in Dallas, TX; we're in KY. Yay
So I uncheck that box and I have a regular internet, mostly. I can get to YouTube, and the BN website, but specifically not this forum. If I check that box, I can get here fine. Fn stupid backwards bs.....
Normally when the firewall gets us we get a message from it. This message looks like it comes from the BN server, which is kinda weird.
The first time I ever tried to get to the forums from work I got a message saying my IP was blocked for spam. Then it's been Forbidden ever since. I'm wondering if whatever router I'm coming out of normally has an offending IP and when I route through Dallas it uses one that isn't blocked.
Maybe some trace routes are in order.
KYT

Next

Return to Support