Re: Abbey Ale (WLP530) question

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:22 pm

According to JZ's pitching rate calculator if you have super fresh yeast and make a starter without a stirplate you would need a 3.3L starter with 1 vial/smackpack for a 1074 beer. If you are using a stirplate then use 1.3L starter.

How fresh was your yeast?
How was your starter done? Stirplate or not?

You may have ended up underpitching. But you should give it at least 1 more week if not 2 before it's going to be done.
DeezMaltz

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:33 pm

DeezMaltz wrote:According to JZ's pitching rate calculator if you have super fresh yeast and make a starter without a stirplate you would need a 3.3L starter with 1 vial/smackpack for a 1074 beer. If you are using a stirplate then use 1.3L starter.

How fresh was your yeast?
How was your starter done? Stirplate or not?

You may have ended up underpitching. But you should give it at least 1 more week if not 2 before it's going to be done.

Fresh yeast with a stirplate. I think it's probably a case of impatience combined with a lack of familiarity with this yeast. I'd gotten the impression from something I read elsewhere that it finishes quickly but that's clearly not the case. Since my OP I've bumped the temp up to 70º.
Scutrbrau

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Fresh yeast with a stirplate. I think it's probably a case of impatience combined with a lack of familiarity with this yeast. I'd gotten the impression from something I read elsewhere that it finishes quickly but that's clearly not the case. Since my OP I've bumped the temp up to 70º.

How did you add O2? Shake or Pure O2? Could also have some impact on the pace of fermentation.I think you should be good though, bump up the Temp give it some time.
DeezMaltz

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:49 pm

DeezMaltz wrote:

How did you add O2? Shake or Pure O2? Could also have some impact on the pace of fermentation.I think you should be good though, bump up the Temp give it some time.

Gave it pure O2.
Scutrbrau

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:13 pm

adamK wrote:
Ozwald wrote:
adamK wrote:I think your gravity is a bit low

Are you already on Japanese time? The gravity is high but the temp is low.

Listen to what I mean, not what I say!! Not on JST yet, just pulling all nighters in preparation. Mind is becoming mush, but soon ramen will repair it.

All I heard was, "I, adamK, suck." (Have a good flight, we'll catch up over some better beer when you get back instead)

Surprisingly enough I wouldn't nitpick on the pitch for this one as much as other styles. You're going to be adding bugs which will take care of a lot of things in the end & it's going to be a long ferment. 530 is a fairly good attenuator, but a lot of the character is going to come from the bugs anyhow - I wouldn't be aiming to push the 530 to it's fullest potential. As long as you're not going overboard with esters & phenolics it'll be fine. Just leave enough left for the bugs to chew on.

That being said, 530 seems like an odd choice for the style. Not saying it won't work, but it'll definitely be different than the original.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Ozwald wrote:That being said, 530 seems like an odd choice for the style. Not saying it won't work, but it'll definitely be different than the original.

It's what Vinnie Cilurzo suggests using. Beats me. If I come anywhere close to the original I'll be happy.
Scutrbrau

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:30 am

Try the Roeselare if you brew it again :wink:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:02 am

Ozwald wrote:Try the Roeselare if you brew it again :wink:

Brett L. goes in next, then the Roeselare.
Scutrbrau

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation