Anyone ever make a sour wit?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:09 am

I've been reading Brewing with Wheat, and it seems that a lot of the early wits came with a bit of lactic tang, and they were generally infected. Anyone every add lacto to a wit, and make it more like a Berlinner Weiss? I was thinking about doing a sour mash to get some sourness and have a quick turn around instead of letting it sit in the carboy for 6-12 months. Thoughts were to make a refreshing beer, possibly more so, as the BW. Thoughts or experiences? Experience on sour mashing in general??
You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it

The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it
LostBoy

Re: Anyone ever make a sour wit?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:48 am

The last sour wit I made was brewed using a typical wit recipe along with witbier yeast (WY). After primary was complete, I racked the beer to a keg and added the dregs of 2 Jolly Pumpkin beers (Bam Biere and Lucienerga). I was planning on letting the keg sit at moderate summer basement temps (65-70F) for a few mos to get nice and sour/funky. But after one mos only I took a taste and the beer was quite sour and ready to roll!

Served it a summer party and everyone loved the funk. And damned if it wasn't pretty sour too! Those JP dregs are quite ferocious to work with.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Re: Anyone ever make a sour wit?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 am

brewinhard wrote:Those JP dregs are quite ferocious to work with.

I've heard that whispered around the BN booth at NHC. :asshat:

I've never sour mashed, but I do want to try it someday. If you don't have access to Jolly Pumpkin beer, Can You Brew It cloned a couple of them, and Mike Mraz blended two lacto strains in secondary. Really simple. Even I couldn't screw it up.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles