Re: Need some Easy Fail-Safe Recipes

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:56 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
brewinhard wrote:Man spider, are you some interior decorator or something?

No, I'm just smarter than his future wife. :lol:

I've heard he swings that way from time to time though :wink:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 am

breslinp wrote:
CaptainMorgan04 wrote:Thanks, you guys are awesome. Anyone have a tasty (and EASY), tried and true stout recipe? I'm only set up for 5 gal batches but have access to plenty of fermenters. I'm thinking about doing 2 batches ( 10 gal ) of three varieties (30 gal total). Anything more than that will be store bought.

Just do a search for Jamil's dry stout. Use the dark (English, 500-600 SRM) roasted barley and pulverize it in a coffee grinder. You won't get the black color if you don't pulverize it and use the dark barley.

http://www.beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil ... yStout.htm

+1 on pulverizing the roasted barley.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 am

I've done JZ's stout, and can verify that it comes out well. Depending on your system, you may end up with some of the pulverized roast malt coming though to the ferementor. Just make sure you give it plenty of time to settle before packaging.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Ok, I decided on Janet's Brown, MoreBeer!s Irish Stout, and a sweet little Honey Pale I dug up. I'm thinking its a good mix. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again everyone for the help.
CaptainMorgan04

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Still think you should keg... :P
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:12 pm

I think bottling is a bad idea unless you are bottling from a keg. There is no way you will be able to keep all those bottles cold AND keep the yeast settled as the bottles get transported AND most people don't know how to handle bottle conditioned beer AMD if you have bartenders they will likely be moving too fast to pay attention.

With kegs ...... I would let everything condition and settle, pour off the first couple of cloudy pints, then transfer the clear beer to a new keg so when it got jostled during delivery there would be no sediment to stir up.

I really like the soon to be mrs' idea of commemorative labels ...... if these were gifts to take home. If the beer is to be consumed at the party, Spider's commemorative glass idea is f-ing AWESOME.
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:29 pm

animaldoc wrote:With kegs ...... I would let everything condition and settle, pour off the first couple of cloudy pints, then transfer the clear beer to a new keg so when it got jostled during delivery there would be no sediment to stir up.

Or just use gelatin.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon May 20, 2013 8:31 am

Well I know its been a while but the wedding was last week and wanted to hit you guys up with an update. I decided on 4 home brews (Irish stout, Janet's Brown, Honey Pale, and an IPA that i whipped up last minute. YES i did bottle them all. Holy shit it was alot of work but well worth it. I made custom names and labels for each Brew. ""Last Night Out - Irish Stout" "Man Down - Brown" "Too Late to Bail - Honey Pale" and "Hoppily Ever After - IPA". All in all it was about 400 bottles. Just in case something went wrong I also bought 8 cases of Firestone 805. Not a single bottle was left over at the end of the night. The brews turned out perfect in everyway and the labeled bottles were a pretty cool conversation piece. Just super stoke to be back to brew for myself now. Started my S'more Stout experiment last night! Cheers guys, and thanks for the tips. :drink
CaptainMorgan04

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles