WLP550

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Anyone use this Belgian ale yeast and ferment at lower than recommended temps? White labs recommends 68-75F, but I am around 65. Will I notice anything different than I should? How will this effect flavor? Will it attenuate properly, or at least take slightly longer?
You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it

The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it
LostBoy

Re: WLP550

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 am

This is my 'house' belgian strain. I always start ferment around 64-65 deg and ramp through to the end. I pitch with the carboy in a water bath to maintain the 65 in my basement, then after a day or two at high krausen, I'll take it out of the bath and move it to whichever room is about 68. As things slow down, I'll move it to an even warmer room 70+ if I can until it's finished.

Starting out cold keeps the fruitier esters/higher alcohols down and accentuates the spicy aspects. I typically get white pepper, almost a coriander citrus, lots of general 'Belgian' character and have gotten fruit ranging from lemon to currant to banana. Basically, you get less fruit and more spice at the lower temps.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Re: WLP550

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:09 am

This is my go-to Belgian strain also.
I start it at 65°F and let it rise to 68-69°F after the 4th or 5th day... I eyeball it for slowing activity (it's usually nearly done by then).
Like anday6, I do this to accentualte the spiciness and it ferments great using this temperature profile.
This yeast is amazing and is a very vigorous fermenter. Be prepared for blowoff, even at the lower temps.
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

Return to Fermentation